|For an overview of throwing knives, see throwing knife.|
A deadly weapon of choice for assassins, throwing knives are as silent as they are cunning. They are small, light weight, quick, and quiet. They are about seven inches in length and made of lightweight alloy with a handle wrapped in red ribbon.
Since they lack the damage of hatchets and spears, it's recommended to use these with any poisons.
- Crimson Caravan Company - Blake occasionally sells them.
- Goodsprings General Store - Chet occasionally sells one or two.
- Mick & Ralph's, Freeside - Mick offers 15 for sale once you have unlocked his "secret inventory" by passing a Speech check of 30.
- Quartermaster Bardon in the Hoover Dam offices - On very rare occasions they can be purchased here.
- Throwing knives launch much more quickly than the more common throwing spears, which can be an asset against fast enemies in V.A.T.S.
- Throwing hatchets, spears, and knives are more effective when coated with poisons.
- Throwing hatchets, spears, and knives can not be picked up and re-used once thrown.
- It counts as a holdout weapon that you can sneak into casinos and other weapon restricted areas.
- If a critical hit is scored on an enemy's head, it may explode.
- The throwing knife has very high item health relative to most other melee weapons, and as such would degrade very slowly, even though you can only attack once with it as it becomes unretrievable once thrown.
- The Throwing Knives sold by Mick are not in 100 percent condition, unlike all other throwing weapons in the game. Instead, they are slightly below the maximum-damage threshold of 75%. They are repairable, but even with maximum Repair and Melee skill, repairing one of these throwing knives only increases the damage by 1 point. Thus, repairing them is not very economical, especially given their scarcity and one-time use.
- When thrown at creatures like Radscorpions, red blood still spurts from the hit area.
- When you take off a limb with a throwing knife, a semi-glowing version appears afterwards that is not able to be picked up called "projectile throwing knife," and when shot, it explodes. [verified]
- Sometimes the throwing knife may explode when hitting a dead enemy's leg. [verified]
- After throwing one at an enemy they will unequip forcing the player to re-equip them every single use. [verified]