Although the Responders are long gone from Flatwoods, their automated courses still remain active and can be used by Vault 76 dwellers to become officially certified Volunteers. The first step can be taken in Flatwoods, where volunteers need to first help complete Kesha McDermott's water tests.
- Search for Kesha McDermott along the nearby river.
- Retrieve the water testing kit from Kesha.
- Test water from the river in Flatwoods.
- Test water from a water pump in Flatwoods.
- Analyze the test results in Kesha's lab.
- Make boiled water at a cooking station.
- Check back in at a Responders self-serve kiosk.
- This is a tutorial quest introducing the basics of survival. The dweller has to first find Kesha's body over by the river, curled up on the bank. Her location can also be obtained from the self-serve kiosk, after accessing the people's directory.
- There will be a water test kit on her body. The dweller has to sample two locations, one at the river nearby, the other at the water pumps located at the edge of town, near the farms. Simply drinking water from each source will collect a sample.
- Then it's a matter of returning to the church and uploading the sample to Kesha's terminal over behind the automated vendor. This will lead to the conclusion that water must first be boiled to be made potable. Then the quest asks the dweller to gather wood and two units of dirty water, then use any cooking station to make boiled water.
- Then it's a matter of turning the quest in at the kiosk. Halfway through to Volunteer status!
This quest has the highest chance of awarding a Forest region event outfit in lieu of a possible leather armor mod plan, aside from Forest region events, which have a much lower chance of awarding a Forest region outfit.