|For an overview of plasma rifles in the Fallout universe, see plasma rifle.|
Background[edit | edit source]
Characteristics[edit | edit source]
This weapon is a GRA plasma caster with numerous modifications to increase performance. Most notably, it features a shorter barrel with larger, fan-shaped magnetic stabilizing claws on the end, and thick orange tape around the shaft. The body is also cleaner and darker green in color, with additional hardware on the side and one large yellow vacuum tube replacing two of the tubes on the front-right side.
Mechanically, the Smitty Special is much more durable and has twice the ammo capacity of regular Plasma Casters, as well as a much higher rate of fire (seven shots per second as opposed to three), which balances out its lower damage output per shot and lower critical chance. It also has a much wider spread.
Durability[edit | edit source]
The Smitty Special can be fired 1095 times using standard cells, the equivalent of 55 reloads, from full condition before breaking.
Variants[edit | edit source]
Comparison[edit | edit source]
|- Weapon name (melee or unarmed)||- Attacks in V.A.T.S.|
|- Weapon name (gun, energy or explosive)||- Action point cost|
|- Damage per attack (damage per projectile)||- Damage per action point|
|- Damage per second||- Weapon spread|
|- Area of effect damage||- Magazine capacity (shots per reload)|
|- Effect damage & duration||- Durability (number of attacks before breaking)|
|- Bonus effects||- Weight|
|- Attacks per second||- Value in caps|
|- Critical chance % multiplier||- Value to weight ratio|
|- Critical damage||- Skill required|
|- Critical effect damage & duration||- Strength required|
|- With all mods attached|
|The Smitty Special||35||245||7||x0.1||35||3||30||3.5||1.3||20||1095||20||20000||1000||100||8|
Locations[edit | edit source]
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Although there are unique sounds for the weapon present in the files of Gun Runner's Arsenal, the weapon makes use of the Tesla cannon firing sounds instead.
- This weapon is fully automatic, unlike other plasma casters. This causes the weapon to degrade almost as fast as the Gatling laser.
- While The Smitty Special has a higher rate of fire than an un-modded plasma caster, with the HS electrode modification the two are roughly identical in DPS, making The Smitty Special a dubious improvement in real-time combat especially since the Smitty Special has a significantly lower critical rate and damage per shot making it much less effective against heavily armored targets. In V.A.T.S., however, The Smitty Special gets an edge over the plasma caster since, as an automatic weapon, it will get three shots (instead of two normally) for every one shot from the plasma caster.
- By coincidence it is sold in the Silver Rush which is across the street from a pre-War store named Smitty's.
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
Bugs[edit | edit source]
PC Playstation 3 Xbox 360 Sometimes, if Gloria Van Graff is dead, The Smitty Special will not be purchasable from Vendortron. [verified]
- PC Use this fix in the console: startquest xx00093c, then resetquest xx00093c. This could also be done in reverse order.
Sounds[edit | edit source]
Gallery[edit | edit source]