The infobox template in this article is missing some required data. You can help Nukapedia by filling it in.
This scribe is a former member of Lyons' Brotherhood of Steel in the Capital Wasteland. Once a proud member of the Brotherhood, he gradually became disillusioned with its leadership after Arthur Maxson took over as elder, believing the Brotherhood was becoming too self-serving in contrast to Owyn Lyons' more altruistic beliefs. He eventually left the order and has since then been traveling the wasteland as an armor merchant. He is now looking to settle somewhere to ply his trade.
Interactions with the player characterEdit
|This character is a merchant.||Sells: armor|
The Scribe can be recruited as a settler once the settlement population cap reaches 10.
- On a road east of Dark Hollow pond (the same road as the one in front of General Atomics Galleria).
- East of Cambridge Police Station.
- On the road near a train bridge east of Boston Police rationing site. To locate this area, fast travel to the site, then go south for a short distance until reaching the train tracks. Follow the tracks east until reaching a road heading underneath them. Walking under the bridge triggers the encounter (save before going underneath it). Jump down on the south side of the bridge and walk underneath toward the Red Rocket station. The Scribe can potentially spawn around the corner of the station. Other NPCs and random encounters can be also found here.
- In a small square between Greenetech Genetics and Cambridge crater.
- On the street right outside of Med-Tek Research. Fast travel to the location, turn left, and walk down the street. An NPC should be visible while approaching a three-way intersection, and enemy forces up to and including a deathclaw, can materialize behind the player character.
- Near Revere Satellite Array.
- Near the front of Hester's Consumer Robotics.
- Behind the Cambridge Polymer Labs building. To trigger the random encounter, fast travel to the location and go south, then turn west and go down the road along the river until reaching the broken Red Rocket billboard. Then turn around and go back. Alternatively, travel to Cambridge Police Station and go down the same road to Cambridge Polymer Labs.
- South of Concord, near where Trashcan Carla is first encountered.
- South of Oberland station. Simply follow the train tracks until reaching a derailed train and a red water stop. Further south, the tracks are blocked by fallen trees, stop by the third and an NPC will have spawned in front of the player character and is walking towards them (potentially The Scribe) or behind them at the train water stop (super mutants most likely). After hiring him, a bug can occur in which where random encounters will stop spawning with this method.
- Northwest of Irish Pride Industries Shipyard, at the intersection of the road that heads north to West Everett Estates.
- Outside Dartmouth Professional Building, fighting several Children of Atom.
- The scribe will initially have average tier armor, such as leather or metal armor with various mods.
- If assigned to an armor emporium in a settlement, he becomes a level 4 vendor with special items including two legendary armor pieces.
- If Automatron is installed, it will become extremely difficult to encounter the Scribe as most, if not all, fluid encounter spots will now be replaced by Rust Devil patrols.
- On a PC, you can use console command 0010d56d.moveto player to work around this problem, for example, if you want to recruit the Scribe.
- The Scribe will not turn hostile against the Sole Survivor if they become enemies with the Brotherhood.
- If you can't recruit The Scribe with 10 settlers, try again when you have 15 settlers.
The Scribe appears only in Fallout 4.
PC Even if the player character meets the requirement to hire him he may not give the option to send him to a settlement.[verified]
- On PC, the player may choose to hire him through console commands at the preferred settlement such as:
prid 0010d56d (tell console NPC id #)
setpv bCommandable 1 (changes flag on NPC to make it commandable like a settler)
setpv bAllowMove 1 (allows settlement transfer to original settlers)
setpv bAllowCaravan 1 (allows the NPC to be a provisoner)
- Another way to solve the bug, though it does not allow one to recruit him, is to attract him to a nearby settlement and, in workshop mode, reassign him to another settlement, travel there and sleep 24 hours. He will then appear in the settlement.
- ↑ The Sole Survivor: "What's your story?"
The Scribe: "I was once a Scribe in the Brotherhood of Steel. Back when that was something to be proud of. Back when we used our knowledge to help people, rather than simply hoarding it for our own power. When Squire Maxson took over... well, I didn't like the changes he made to the Brotherhood. Some said it was a return to our ancient traditions. Maybe so. But things are not necessarily better simply because they are ancient. So, I left. Since then, I've been walking up and down in the world... until I found myself here. So, were you interested in trading or not?"
(The Scribe's dialogue)
- ↑ The Scribe: "
The Sole Survivor: "You interested in coming to work for me? I have a good spot for you to set up shop."
The Scribe: " "
(The Scribe's dialogue) "