"People of the Commonwealth. Do not interfere. Our intentions are peaceful. We are the Brotherhood of Steel."
The Prydwen is a modified and heavily armored Brotherhood of Steel airship that flies throughout the skies of the Commonwealth. The vessel serves multiple roles for the Brotherhood, including those of aircraft carrier, command center, personnel quarters, equipment maintenance bay, and research facility. It is, for all intents and purposes, an airborne military base.
The Prydwen was constructed at Adams Air Force Base over a period of eight years. It took an initial four years to collect the materials necessary and another four to actually construct the airship. It weighs in at forty thousand tons, as noted by Lancer Captain Kells. The nuclear core was evidently taken from Rivet City as the previous one was not sufficient enough to efficiently power all the systems.
The airship is filled with hydrogen, as stated during the quest Airship Down. Four pylons attached to the ship's flight deck carry a single jet engine each, being responsible for controlling the Prydwen's altitude and help to keep the ship aloft. There are four docking hooks for Brotherhood modified VB-02 Vertibird gunships attached to the airship's hull, vertibirds being accessible via the flight deck.
- Lower Catwalk (to Vertibirds).
- Command Center
- Main Deck
On the Main Deck is a medical bay, bar, power armor station and crafting equipment, a shop (at the end of the corridor). There are also stairs that lead up to the living quarters.
The Prydwen's crew includes:
- Elder Maxson
- Captain Kells
- Paladin Brandis, if convinced to rejoin the Brotherhood.
- Proctor Ingram
- Proctor Teagan
- Proctor Quinlan
- Madison Li (optional)
- Senior Scribe Neriah
- Knight-Captain Cade
- Predictive Analytic Machine (if reprogrammed in the mission Tactical Thinking)
- T-60 power armor
- Fusion core
- Long range laser rifle
- Gauss rifle in Proctor Teagan's cage.
- Fat Man + few mini nukes. Two mini nukes can be found on the lower catwalk of the main deck, next to the mini nuke crates that are recovered from the Fort Strong armory during the quest Show No Mercy.
- X-01 power armor helmet in Proctor Teagan's cage.
- Knight-Captain Cade's report
- C.I.T. recon report
- Personal log - 142
- Quinlan to be deleted holodisk.
- Nuka Cola Quantum, Prydwen main deck, lower catwalk
Pickpocket or dropped on death
- Airship captain's hat pickpocket from Knight-Captain Kells.
- Bomber jacket
- Engineer's armor
- Final Judgment (legendary gatling laser) carried by Arthur Maxson.
- Medical goggles
- Science scribe's armor
- Welding helmet
- Shadow of Steel - Travel with Paladin Danse to meet with Elder Maxson.
- Airship Down - Assault the Brotherhood along with the Institute's Synths.
- Rockets' Red Glare - The Sole Survivor, Deacon and Tinker Tom lead a secret raid to destroy the Prydwen.
- With Our Powers Combined - The Brotherhood have caused enough trouble, lead the Minutemen to destroy the Prydwen.
The Prydwen appears only in Fallout 4. It will show up right after the main quest Reunions is finished, flying in over the western mountain range of the map and making its way across the Commonwealth, until it finally anchors above the Boston Airport. After this, the Sole Survivor can visit it during the Brotherhood of Steel quest Shadow of Steel offered by Paladin Danse.
Its remains can be visited if destroyed, and respawning Brotherhood corpses can be found and looted. Brotherhood of Steel scribes, knights, and paladins may appear and attack the Sole Survivor.
Behind the scenes
- Prydwen (Middle Welsh lit. "fair-faced", "handsome") is the name of King Arthur's ship in the native Welsh literature concerning the legendary character. Arthur and his men board it to sail to the Otherworldly fortress of Annwn in the somewhat cryptic poem Preiddeu Annwfn as well as when they sail to and from Ireland in the prose text Culhwch ac Olwen in an attempt to gain a magical cauldron. It is not explicitly named in any other native Arthurian tale or poem, and in the Anglo-Norman literature that drew from it Arthur does not appear to have a comparable vessel.
- It is pronounced by multiple characters different ways. Military Frequency AF95 broadcasts pronounce it 'preed-win' whereas Paladin Danse pronounces it 'prid-win'; the Welsh pronunciation is 'PRUHD-wehn'.
- PC Stealing from the Prydwen armory can result in all Brotherhood NPC's turning hostile against the Sole Survivor. This can happen regardless whether the survivor is detected or not and can happen even if a Stealth Boy is used. Solutions include picking up the desired item and moving it outside the armory before stealing it. This does not alert the Brotherhood.[verified]
- PC In some cases after entering the Prydwen you will fall through the floor. Loading a previous save may fix this issue.[verification overdue]
This article is too short to provide more than rudimentary information about the subject. You can help Nukapedia by expanding it.