From what can be evidenced by the number of prospector corpses scattered throughout the location, the Prospector's Den was a safehouse and rest stop for the scavengers of the Mojave Wasteland. In recent times, a local gang of Jackals presumably slaughtered all of the prospectors holed up inside, subsequently taking it over and using it as a hideout.
The Prospector's Den is a simple cave with a building constructed inside. When first entering the location, there will be many dead prospectors on the ground with loot such as weapons and caps. The building has three rooms, the first of which serves as a living room and kitchen. It contains two beds, cabinets, a jukebox, a radio, and a refrigerator.
The second room, which serves as the main living quarters, has eight footlockers and eight mattresses with a dead prospector lying on one of them. The third room acts as a small maintenance shack. It has two shelves, a first aid box, a reloading bench, and a generator.
Initially, the Prospector's Den will be inhabited by Jackal gang members (headed by a gang leader), who have raided the den and killed the prospectors inside. Should the Courier clear out the location, a new group of prospectors, including two NCR prospectors and a prospector merchant will move in shortly afterward, and the den can be used as a safehouse.
- Tumblers Today - Inside the second room, on the floor, in the far right corner.
- A Sunset Sarsaparilla star bottle cap - Located on top of a chessboard in the room with the jukebox.
The Prospector's Den appears only in Fallout: New Vegas.
- Playstation 3 In the second room, the footlockers on the west wall may be empty. Leaving and re-entering the Den will reset them.[verified]
- PC The super mutants in front of the den may stop and not attack, but their health will not go to zero when hit. Resetting or reloading the save file will not have any effect.[verified]
- PC All the dead prospectors may be found, but there will be no raiders. Going out and into the cell may sometimes help. [verified]
- Playstation 3 Xbox 360 A centaur may spawn at the door to the den upon the Courier's visitation every time (this seems to happen only after the Jackal gang members have been killed and the den is inhabited by the new prospectors). [verified]
- A bark scorpion may also spawn at the entrance upon fast traveling to the location, but typically will not have a poison gland to loot after it is killed.[verified]