|The following is based on developer commentary.|
The Origins of Fallout is an extensive article released by No Mutants Allowed in February 2012. Penned by Scott Campbell, it is an exhaustive documentation of the origins of Fallout, including how it came to be, how the license evolved, and what are its inspirations.
- Origins of Fallout Page 1: R. Scott Campbell's background
- Origins of Fallout Page 2: Experiences at Interplay and acquisition of GURPS license
- Origins of Fallout Page 3: First draft of a story for the new GURPS game
- Origins of Fallout Page 4: Choosing a post-apocalyptic setting and the origins of Vaults
- Origins of Fallout Page 5: Design principles and pen-and-paper roots
- Origins of Fallout Page 6: Ambitious ideas that didn't make it in, including Vault 13 as a base of operations, seduction, NPC schedules
- Origins of Fallout Page 7: Origins of the principal setting elements: Sino-American War, FEV, bottle caps, brahmin, Brotherhood of Steel, and deathclaws.
- Origins of Fallout Page 8: Cut content and ideas: Original Master, raider tribes, The Burrows, Irvine, dead Dodge Viper, and farewell