Quick walkthrough[edit | edit source]
|Side Quest: The Moon Comes Over the Tower|
|Bug an access point to the Lucky 38's data network for the Followers of the Apocalypse|
|Return to Emily Ortal on the New Vegas strip with news that the tower has been bugged.|
|Reward: 500 XP|
Detailed walkthrough[edit | edit source]
- Speak to Emily Ortal near the entrance to the Lucky 38 to begin the quest. She may also appear in the House Resort near Camp Golf (using wait option just inside) and also has been known to appear when the Courier leaves the Nellis hangars and when the Courier finishes Lonesome Road. She will ask the player character to bug Mr. House's mainframe. (If she doesn't appear outside the Lucky 38, the player needs to progress further in the main quest line. The player needs to deal with Benny or initiate combat in The Tops in order to get Emily to appear.)
- Enter the Lucky 38 casino.
- Entering the main casino, turn left and head up the stairs to the VIP lounge.
- Activate the terminal behind the bar.
- Choose the option to bug the network.
- Head back outside the casino. Emily should be at the bottom of the stairs or immediately to the left (near the gate to the next part of the strip).
- Tell Emily you bugged the network, she will tell the player character that this data "might come in handy".
- However, after that, the reports stop coming in (due to Mr. House removing the bug).
- After Emily Ortal has been informed that the bug has been removed, she will still be thankful, and your reputation with the Followers of the Apocalypse will be raised.
- With a Barter of 40 or higher, one can get her to give the them some medical supplies.
Reward[edit | edit source]
- +500 XP
- Followers of the Apocalypse fame
Quest stages[edit | edit source]
Notes[edit | edit source]
- The Courier can tell Mr. House that they have been given a bug before it could be installed, and he will tell the player character to go ahead and try, but he will find it and disable it within 40 seconds.
- After the quest it is possible for the player character to tell Mr. House that his network was deliberately bugged, House will say that he "already noticed it, and removed it in 39.735 seconds", indicating that it is useless to bug his network.
- After returning to Emily to talk about the bug, it will open up dialogue options (some of which require a 35 Speech check) to learn that Benny had approached her in order to restore a securitron, presumably Yes Man. He wanted her to link it to Mr. House's data network, but to make it invisible to the network because of the fact that in the event that Mr. House detects a rogue device on his network, he remotely fries it. one also learns that this is her second attempt to extract data from the network.
- This quest starts even if Mr. House is already dead, and will end exactly the same way.
- However, the quest will fail if Mr. House is killed after starting it. Simply disabling Mr. House won't fail the quest, and the bug will still be found and disconnected.
- The Barter check during this quest is one of the few times your character's name is mentioned.
- "Lucky 38 Executive Override" is an option available from several terminals across the Mojave Wasteland. It was originally designed to be part of this quest. A quest stage (still in GECK) would have required the player character to perform the override on all three terminals before bugging the terminal in the casino level. That quest stage is now skipped, and the player character can just talk to Emily and continue. There are four terminals with this option:
- If Arcade Gannon is your active companion at the time you receive this quest, he will sarcastically react to the fact that Emily does not acknowledge him at all, even though he was present and they are members of the same organization. Once you go inside the Lucky 38 after receiving the quest (and therefore leaving the presence of Emily), Arcade will pretend to greet Emily as a fellow member of the Followers and mockingly agree to help infiltrate the Lucky 38.
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
"When the Moon Comes over the Mountain" was a popular song published in 1931 and written by Howard Johnson, Harry M. Woods, and Kate Smith.
Bugs[edit | edit source]
- PC Playstation 3 Xbox 360 After completing the quest Emily will remain outside the casino and you can talk to her to learn about the first attempt on hacking Mr. House's network. A 35 speech level dialogue option eventually becomes available that will remain in the dialogue list even after granting the player character the reward for selecting (experience, completion of speech towards challenges). This allows the player character to get credit for completing speech challenges (the Experience Points for completing the speech option is only given once however). Note that ending the conversation will block any further communication (and thus exploitation) although Emily will remain in front of the Lucky 38. [verified]
- PC Emily may enter the Lucky 38 to present this quest, when doing Act II before doing Act I. [verified]
- PC Xbox 360 One can still get the quest after killing Mr. House, it does not change dialogues with Emily. [verified]
- PC Even if one has installed Yes Man on Mr House's computer system, Emily will still tell the player character Mr. House disabled the bug 30 seconds after installing it. [verified]
- Playstation 3 Xbox 360 This quest can be given twice, but the second time the quest is given the player character will not be able to access the terminal behind the bar in the VIP lounge. Therefore, the player character cannot continue the quest. [verified]
- PC Playstation 3 Xbox 360 Once the terminal has been bugged and the player character exits the Lucky 38, Emily Ortal may not be outside. [verified]
- Xbox 360 After bugging the computer, Emily may enter the Lucky 38 casino to ask the player character if they have completed their task. [verified]
- Xbox 360 If the player character has not planted the bug in a certain time, Emily will remind them as they leave a room, including inside the Lucky 38. [verified]
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.