Before the Great War, the Sole Survivor, their spouse, and their son Shaun, lived in the house together. At a recent time before October 23rd, 2077, the family bought a Mister Handy named Codsworth. On October 23rd, after seeing news reports of nuclear warheads being dropped all over the country, the family left for Vault 111. As robots were excluded from the protection of Vault 111, Codsworth remained at the house alone for the next two centuries, greeting the Sole Survivor on their return in 2287.
The house consists of an open-plan lounge and kitchen, with a hallway leading to the laundry room, bathroom, closet, Shaun's bedroom and master bedroom. It is based off 1950s futurist architecture and the open-plan design is an example of the American Dream in the 2070s.
- Grognak the Barbarian issue #3 – On the kitchen counter.
- You're SPECIAL! – In Shaun's bedroom, under the dresser. Grants +1 to the selected SPECIAL stat.
- Shaun's crib, a unique crib – In Shaun's bedroom. This is only useful in the crafting menu.
- The letter blocks on the shelf in Shaun's pre-War bedroom spell out "ICBM."
- Originally there was a terminal inside the house which would contain notes from both the Sole Survivor and their spouse (Nate/Nora). However, this was cut from the game.
- The Vault-Tec van is no longer present post-War.
- The Sole Survivor's House appears in the ending slides.
Behind the scenesEdit
- The design was inspired by the various "Home of Tomorrow" exhibits that were popular in the early to mid 20th century, which attempted to speculate on what houses in the future would be like. Ironically, these would often look dated after a few years as the "futuristic" technologies present became more commonplace or didn't catch on.
- The houses in Sanctuary and a few construction sites in the Commonwealth appear to be modeled on the Lustron brand houses produced by the Lustron Corporation of Chicago. Nearly 2500 such houses were constructed between 1947 and 1950. A group of them in relatively good repair still stand along the 5000 block of Nicollet Avenue in Minneapolis, MN.