“Apparently he hasn't considered the effect on the troops' morale of seeing their beloved leader get his brains blown out by a Legion sniper.”— Robert House
Synopsis[edit | edit source]
Quick walkthrough[edit | edit source]
|Main Quest: The House Always Wins VI|
|Have neutral or lower reputation with the NCR.||Protect Kimball from all three assassination attempts in the quest You'll Know It When It Happens.|
|Reward: Quest failure||Reward: Quest complete|
|Leads to: The House Always Wins VII|
Detailed walkthrough[edit | edit source]
Main article: You'll Know It When It Happens
Quest stages[edit | edit source]
Notes[edit | edit source]
- This quest will automatically fail if the player character does not have a reputation of accepted or higher with the NCR, with Mr. House noting they will not let the Courier come within a thousand feet of the president.
- Killing Ranger Grant instantly before President Kimball's arrival or leaving the Hoover Dam area after preparing for the speech during You'll Know It When It Happens will automatically result in Kimball being assassinated.
- Attacking Grant or any NCR personnel in his presence prior to Kimball arriving will result in the speech being canceled, but Mr. House will give the same response as if the player character successfully protected Kimball.
- If Kimball is assassinated by the Legion or the player character kills him during his visit as part of You'll Know It When It Happens, this quest will fail upon returning to Mr. House. He will be furious at what has happened and says that he will be forced to gamble on the outcome, but will still give The House Always Wins VII.
- If the player character removes the Vertibird bomb but then attacks Kimball and lets him escape, returning to Mr. House will result in the quest failing and him asking why the player character attacked Kimball. Regardless of the response, he still gives The House Always Wins VII as above.
Bugs[edit | edit source]
- Playstation 3 At times, while the quest is active if one chooses to equip NCR armor that causes the faction glitch to happen prior to speaking to Ranger Grant, they will gain NCR infamy and the entire Dam (including Grant) will attack the Courier. Even after killing Grant, changing clothing, or waiting any amount of time it will be impossible to complete the quest. When returning to Mr. House he will continue to tell the player character to go back to the Dam and protect the president, even though the president will now never show up. [verified]
- Xbox 360 Sometimes when trying to complete Part VI and protect President Kimball, President Kimball stays at the microphone, even after the speech was cut short. This results in not being able to finish the quest. Standing on the platform near the president does trigger the running animation but the president stays on his place. Reloading the save doesn't resolve this problem. [verified]
- Xbox 360 Sometimes, if the Courier's reputation with the NCR is too low to complete the "You'll Know It When It Happens" Quest (aka The House Always Wins, Part VI), Mr. House will fail to recognize this and send them to Hoover Dam anyway. Upon arriving at Hoover Dam, one will fail "You'll Know It When It Happens," but the active goal for "The House Always Wins" will still direct the player character to Hoover Dam and prompt them to search for Ranger Grant. Furthermore, one's reputation with the NCR will drop, and the soldiers at Hoover Dam may become hostile. Upon speaking to Mr. House again, he will still demand that the Courier go to Hoover Dam to save President Kimball. Reloading a save prior to completing "The House Always Wins, Part V," may cause Mr. House to immediately recognized the player character's NCR reputation is too low and start Part VII of the quest instead. [verified]
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.