|Far Harbor side quest: The Great Hunt|
|Talk to the Mariner.|
|Go to the boat.|
|Sail to Red Death Island.|
|Talk with the Mariner.|
|Reward: Legend of the Harbor|
|Vanquish the Red Death.|
|Sail back to Far Harbor.|
|Receive a hero's welcome.|
|Reward: 300 XP|
Upon speaking with the Mariner, she will describe a mysterious creature that has been destroying boats attempting to leave and arriving in Far Harbor. She asks the Sole Survivor to accompany her to face the mythical beast. The Mariner takes her leave and the player character attempts to do the same but is stopped by Avery, who warns the Sole Survivor that it is an old myth and they are wasting time and putting themselves in unnecessary danger. One will then board the boat and travel to Red Death Island.
Once arriving, the player character will begin the search for Red Death. After a short conversation with the Mariner, the Sole Survivor will discover the monster of legend is in actuality, a tiny bloodrage mirelurk. After defeating the mirelurk, speaking to the Mariner will reveal her disappointment.
Despite the outcome, the Mariner will still reward the Sole Survivor with the Legend of the Harbor, a unique version of the fisherman's outfit. She will ask if the Sole Survivor wants to tell the truth about the monster or would be willing to lie. One can then return to Far Harbor.
Upon arriving, the player character will receive a hero's welcome from the townspeople, depending on their decision on what story to tell. If the player character encourages the Mariner to tell the truth, the townspeople will jeer and mock her. If one chooses to embellish the tale, the townsfolk will be in awe of her.
- If one has the evidence from DiMA's secret medical facility, but have not yet confronted DiMA or Captain Avery for the quest The Way Life Should Be, Avery will begin that dialogue instead of the lines for this quest. As a result, Avery and the Mariner will simply stand beside the boat, with Avery initiating dialogue each time she is approached To continue the quest, simply climb aboard the boat and head for Red Death Island.
- If one kills Machete Mike during the Hull Breach quest unprovoked, this quest will be locked as the completion of this questline is a prerequisite.
- Curie, Piper and Strong dislike choosing to embellish the tale.
- Deacon loves choosing to embellish the tale.
- Curie and Hancock like telling the Mariner to help others after returning from the hunt.
- PC Playstation 4 Xbox One Completing the main DLC questline may cause this quest to become unavailable. [verified]
- PC Playstation 4 Xbox One When traveling to Red Death Island it's possible getting a black screen but still being able to move, but landing in water. To fix this one must activate the Vault-Tec Assisted Targeting System (travel to the destination and target the Red Death in V.A.T.S., or hold down the V.A.T.S. activation button). Toggle console command teofis on the PC to see, toggle teofis again to target [verified]
- PC Playstation 4 Xbox One Possibly related to the above glitch, the player's boat may disappear, but the prompt to activate the boat's controls will still appear just off the northeastern coast of Red Death Island. The boat will be entirely invisible. Objects can still collide with the boat and the player is forbidden from fast traveling after activating the controls to return to the docks of Far Harbor. Use your best pixel-hunting skills to activate the quest marker which will trigger the returning sequence. After a few seconds, the screen will fade to black and you'll find yourself on a boat returning to Far Harbor. [verified]
- PC Playstation 4 Xbox One After the boat pulls away from the dock and the game starts a loading screen, the one may be dropped in the ocean without the boat near the target island. Opening the console and typing movetoqt 02399f will move the player character to the correct location, but the boat will still not be present. To return to Far Harbor, the quest marker points to an activator floating in mid-air where the boat should be. Activate it and wait a moment and the player character will load on the boat as it arrives back in Far Harbor. [verified]
- PC Playstation 4 Regardless of whether the subtitles are turned on in the game settings, there are no captions for The Mariner's radio transmissions during the boat trip. [verified]
- PC The quest may get stuck at the last objective after leaving the boat back in Far Harbor. The crowd will still gather and try to initiate dialogue, but The Mariner will not answer and repeat the same sentence if tried to talk to. [verified]