| ||For the map area location, see Glowing Sea.|
|Main Quest: The Glowing Sea|
|Travel to Edge of the Glowing Sea.|
|Walk to the southwest, following the road, until you reach Crater of Atom.|
|(Optional) Talk with Mother Isolde|
|Head southwest to the rocky cave.|
|Talk with Brian Virgil.|
|Reward: 350+ XP|
|Leads to: Hunter/Hunted|
Kellogg's memories and Doctor Amari's advice indicate that the Sole Survivor should locate an escaped Institute scientist, Virgil. His last known position was deep in the most irradiated region of the Commonwealth, the Glowing Sea.
Before embarking on this quest, consider how one will deal with high radiation levels for an extended period of time. A hazmat suit, or power armor will suffice, along with a supply of RadAway. Head southwest, following the remains of the freeway until the Pip-Boy indicates a hike off-road is in order. One can expect to face deathclaws, radscorpions, feral ghouls and other irradiated wildlife. When reaching the map marker, the Sole Survivor will find themselves close to the Crater of Atom, a site holy to followers of the Church of the Children of Atom.
Upon entering the location, the strange cult, led by Mother Isolde, will inform the Sole Survivor that they are, in fact, trespassing. Though violence is always an option (search the area for a scrap of paper indicating a nearby cave), it is possible to lower one's weapon and speak to Mother Isolde instead. Answer her questions politely and she will give directions to a rocky cave nearby.
Locate the rocky cave roughly southwest of the Crater of Atom, being wary of the roaming deathclaw in the area. Virgil will be found inside this cave. He requests that the Sole Survivor help him locate a serum within the Institute, in return for his knowledge.
- When entering the rocky cave be sure not to destroy any of Virgil's defenses. Any defenses destroyed prior to returning to complete the quest will result in failing the quest when returning with the serum. Virgil will immediately turn hostile upon one's return in this case.
- Because of the radiation level, using furniture to wait in the crater area is not possible.
- Mother Isolde is not marked as essential, so if she dies, the quest marker will be stuck on her for the remainder of the quest.
- If the Sole Survivor has joined the Children of Atom in Far Harbor, they can be mentioned to Mother Isolde, who will refer to them as a "Brother/sister from the north."
- PC Upon entering the cave, Virgil is not there. The marker for finding him points to the ground. This may be the result of having visited Virgil's cave prior to the quest. [verified]
- On PC, using console command prid 6b505 and then enable may force Virgil to appear in the cave.