“Learn the fate of Crane and his treasure.”
Dealing with Crane
- After following Duchess upstairs, she will open the door to the previously key-locked room on the left. What appears to be an empty storage room turns out to be Crane in captivity.
- Duchess will explain why Crane is alive and for what reasons she kept him inside the room. The player character will need to 'wake' Crane up by interacting with him.
- Sol, previously idling at the top of the stairs, will enter the room and intervene with this newfound discovery of Crane's whereabouts and status. After a short argument, Duchess and Sol will ask the player character what they should do with Crane, and if he should be killed or kept alive.
- At this point, Crane can be killed, either by the player character or by Sol. Crane can also be kept alive by persuading Duchess and Sol that Crane is still a human and they would be murderers if they killed him. Regardless, Crane will have a map and keycard on him that must be taken by interacting with him or looting his corpse.
Finding Crane's treasure
- Crane's map will point to Gauley Mine as to where his cache of treasure lies, along with a code which will be required to access the cache.
- Travel to Gauley Mine, venture deeper until one comes across a room with a keypad and a security gate. The objective will update to search for the code, or to enter the one on Crane's map (071990). Alternatively, the security gate's code can be found directly opposite of the gate, pinned to a wall. Enter the code, and access the doors leading to RobCo Auto-Cache 001.
- Once inside the RobCo Auto-Cache, hack the registration terminal (Level 0) on the left shortly upon entry, this will allow the Pip-Boy to be registered by selecting the terminal's prompt to do so.
- Defeat the insects blocking the path. The player character will come across a large door, simply staying inside the marked area will allow the Pip-Boy to be scanned, and the door will open. Allowing access to the cache inside.
- Next, is to loot the large cache itself. Move through the halls until one comes across a large meeting room at the end with a podium on the right, and multiple dispenser machines on stage.
- Upon investigating the podium, one will find a mega-dispenser test token. In order to loot the cache, the player character must choose a type of weapon to redeem with the token. (The Notes section details which exact weapon is received from each type.)
- Once the player character has made their selection, a dispenser machine will award a leveled legendary weapon. With the cache discovered, all that is left to do is to return to the Wayward and tell Duchess what was found.
Return to Duchess
- When the player character arrives at the Wayward, one will find the place looking a lot better since their last visit, with the interior decorated with lights, a U.S. flag, and looking much cleaner and brighter, and the outside with the "OPEN" signs and lights crackling to life as the tavern officially opens for business. Duchess will thank the player character, as will Polly and Sol, with Duchess giving the player character a permanent discount.
- Alternatively, if one made a deal with Roper and the Free Radicals to split the treasure, they will need to be dealt with first. Once Roper has either been convinced to leave in peace with his men or killed, Duchess will thank the player character and the quest will be completed. Completing it for the first time will unlock the Wayward Child achievement, and if Roper and the Free Radicals were not killed and a deal was struck with them, the Radicals face mask will be awarded with the regular quest rewards.
- At this point, the player character will need to be at least level 20 to continue the Wastelanders main questline. If this condition is satisfied, then the quest The New Arrivals will be added to the journal along with a new radio station to tune into to learn more.
- The mega-dispenser test token is a quest item and cannot be dropped, shared, or sold.
- The loot from the cache is scaled to level, so waiting until level 50 to claim the loot will yield a 2 star legendary at level 50+.
- The loot from the cache have static effects:
- Rifle is Hunting rifle: Anti-armor + 50% V.A.T.S. critical damage
- Two handed melee is Sledgehammer: Bloodied + 40% swing speed
- One handed melee is Sickle: Executioner's + 50% melee reflect on blocking
- Unarmed is Knuckles: Vampires' + +40% Power Attack
- Shotgun is pump action shotgun: Suppressors + 25% faster fire rate
- Energy is Laser pistol: Furious + +10% damage while aiming
- Pistol is .44 Pistol: Two shot + Bash damage.
- Joining the Free Radicals and passing a 4+ Charisma or Intelligence check in dialogue with Roper when returning to Duchess will let one keep the weapon and also gain a Radicals face mask.
- Upon later returning, Polly will be seen at the front desk of the Wayward in the body chosen for her during Hunter for Hire. If she received the assaultron body, she will reward Polly's old head.