Each shot from the Dragon releases four projectiles while consuming a single .50 caliber ball. Similar to shotguns, the damage dealt is divided evenly between each projectile. Despite this, the Dragon has the highest single-shot base damage among ballistic rifles. Its main drawback is the extremely long reload time, which takes approximately 10 seconds without Ground Pounder or Legendary effects.
- The Dragon cannot be crafted.
- The Dragon may be Legendary crafted.
The Dragon cannot be obtained as a Legendary weapon from enemy drops, quest rewards or Purveyor picks. 1-star Dragons may only be acquired from the "Nuclear Surprise!" at the SMART choice machine in Watoga High School.
- Can be sold by Grahm.
- Can be sold by the vendor bots in Berkeley Springs Station and Watoga Station.
- Can be sold by the Free States Vendor at the Whitespring Resort.
- Can be rewarded from a treasure map cache.
- Can be rewarded from Event: Collision Course.
- Can be dropped by the scorchbeast queen.
- Can be dropped by the Progenitor wendigo.
- Can be dropped by David Thorpe during Key to the Past.
- Can be dropped by fog crawlers.
- Can be dropped by honeybeasts.
- Can be dropped by Civil War reenactor.
- Can be found at the Eastern Regional Penitentiary and the Ash Heap.
- Can be found inside the Thunder Mountain Power Plant.
- Can be found inside the Uncanny Caverns.
- Can be found inside the Garrahan Mining Headquarters, in the CEO's office.
- Any Dragon with an attached bayonet is considered legacy content.
- Legacy weapons have higher range of 419, while new world drop and vendor purchases are 228.
- Legendary Dragons incorrectly use the Explosive effect for shotguns. Each of the 4 projectiles deal 3% of the base damage, rather than 20%. It should be using a custom effect for 5%.[verified]
- Legendary enemies, as quest rewards nor may be obtained from The Purveyor.[verified] Legendary Dragons do not drop from
- SMART choice machine in Watoga High School.[verified] 1-star Dragons may be obtained by selecting the "Nuclear Surprise!" option at the
- black powder rifle's bayonet loose mod.[patched] Prior to a patch, the Dragon accepted the
- Patch 29, the Dragon was able to roll the Last Shot Legendary effect, introduced by Patch 28.[patched] Prior to
Behind the scenes
- The Dragon was originally included in the Legendary ranged weapon loot pool. When Purveyor Murmrgh was introduced to the game in Wild Appalachia, several items, including the Dragon, were mysteriously removed from the pool.
- Prior to Wastelanders, the Vault-Tec boss trunks at the end of each Vault Raid in Vault 94 was able to drop 1/2/3-star Dragons.
- 2/3-star Dragons were considered legacy content prior to the Steel Reign update.