Built upon the wreckage of the Valiant-1 space station, the Crater is the largest raider settlement in Appalachia. It was constructed by Caleb Fisher and his crew, who, like many others, joined up with the surviving Diehards as they made their way back to the region. Crater maintains several crop fields, which supply the raiders with a steady food reserve.
The Crater is located in a large, shallow crater near the northeastern edge of the Toxic Valley. The space station appears to have fallen from orbit at a high velocity, devastating the surrounding area. The bulk of the station remains embedded upright in the center of the crater, with fragments scattered around it.
By 2103, the location has been turned into a raider settlement, adding scaffolding, amenities, and other decorations typical of raider architecture. The Crater Core is located in the center of the spaceship and has been turned into the raiders' headquarters.
|The Crater - Exterior|
|Johnny Weston||Lev||Meg Groberg|
|Ra-Ra||Surge||Lou (after Cheating Death)|
|Mortimer (after Secrets Revealed)||Weasel (after Secrets Revealed)1||Raider punk (optional; before recruiting)|
|The Crater war room|
|Marcia Leone (optional; after Missing Persons)|
- 1Only if completing Siding with Crater.
- Untitled poem - Note, in an outhouse near a raider cabin on a promontory in the hills south of the station ruins.
- A whale of a tale - Note, on a desk in Munch's tent.
- The Great War - Note, on a desk in Munch's tent.
- The Nova Orbital station - Note, on a desk in Munch's tent.
- Meg sucks - Holotape, in a footlocker, on the southeast side of The Crater, near the sleeping bag in the middle.
- The Foundation plan - Holotape, in a small room on a makeshift table.
- Homecoming - Holotape, on the back seat of the yellow school bus.
- Lou's goodbye note - Note, on a table in Lou's room in the Core, only during Cheating Death.
- Raider power armor chassis - On the second floor of the raider cabin.
- Flight data recorder - On a metal shelf in the raider cabin on a hill southeast of the fast travel point.
- Potential recipe - On a metal shelf in the raider cabin.
- As of patch 188.8.131.52, yao guai and Scorched no longer spawn in the settlement.
- As of patch 184.108.40.206, fast traveling to the Crater is free of charge.
Behind the scenes
- Lead artist Nathan Purkeypile designed much of the Crater's layout, lighting and cluttering.
- According to level designer Steve Massey, the crashed space station was selected as the site of the Raiders' settlement as the team had always wanted to do more with the space station since the game's initial release.
- Davenport: "The Crater settlement was built from the wreckage of an old space station that crashed to Earth not far from here. The Raiders who live there are a violent group where the strongest rule, and they've claimed Appalachia as their turf."
- Axel: "Ain't got a clue. Fisher and his crew put this place together. The only hard labor I do is raiding settlers."
- Fallout 76 Wastelanders loading screens: "When the Diehards Raider gang returned to Appalachia, they settled in the area of the crashed space station and named their new home the Crater."
- Davenport: "You might have spotted the crop fields near the Crater. Those crops help to provide the Raiders with a steady supply of food. Should the crops fail, the Raiders would be forced to seek other food sources, and a violent clash with Foundation would likely follow. Being forewarned of such a development is vitally important."
- Note: if Raider punk has already been recruited (via dialogue in the Crater Core or his random encounter) and has had his radio built at a C.A.M.P., he will no longer appear at the Crater Core.
- Nate Purkeypile on Twitter: "Various settlements I have made on the Fallout series over time. / Also, to clarify, I did the layout, lighting and cluttering. So not just the world art side of things. I enjoy thinking about how a city is laid out and functions. Designers handled the actual NPCs, quests and dialogue."
- ArtStation - Portfolio, Nathan Purkeypile
- BGS_Steve on Bethesda Game Studios' official Discord