“Some people have gone missing from the camp lately. Haven't seen any signs of violence or heard about any feuds, they just... up and left.”— Captain Parker
|Side Quest: The Coyotes|
|Speak to Captain Parker at the Aerotech Office Park.|
|Talk to Saint James in Westside.|
|Search for evidence in the Casa Madrid Apartments.|
|Return to Captain Parker.||(Optional) Confront Saint James or Dermot with the evidence.|
- Speak to Captain Parker at the Aerotech Office Park. The Courier can ask about the disappearance of refugees from the area, and offer to help him find them. Parker will give more details and add a location marker to the Courier's Pip-Boy map.
- Travel to Westside and talk to Saint James. He and his partner Dermot can be found in or near the Casa Madrid Apartments. During the conversation, Saint James will let slip that he knows more than he admits about the refugees.
- Enter the Casa Madrid Apartments and search for evidence on the ground floor.
- Dermot's room (2nd left) contains a ledger, on a table near the fridge.
- Sweetie upstairs will talk about him propping a teddy bear on the bed when using her services and it being in his room downstairs when persuaded for 200 caps (100 with Barter 30) to forget about her best client's privacy.
- Saint James' room is locked (Lockpick 50). The player character can pick the lock (bad karma though labelled yellow), or get a key from Sweetie upstairs (by paying 250 caps, or using Lady Killer or Cherchez La Femme). After Saint James's demise you get the key from her for free (for this to be still useful you would need to kill the pair without confronting them with the evidence).
- Get the teddy bear near his bed (of the 3 or 4 teddy bears in the building it is the one not marked as owned). It is needed for confronting the pair, although Saint James will not spill the beans when you show it to him.
- With the evidence collected, you can report back to Captain Parker.
- (Optional) The Courier can confront Dermot or Saint James with either piece of evidence. They will become hostile and attack. Note that other Westside residents will not get involved in the fight, and will not be hostile to the player character afterwards.
- Whether the player character confronts the traffickers or not, speaking to Captain Parker back at the Aerotech Office Park will complete the quest.
- Although not required to complete the quest, the player charcter can speak to the other Casa Madrid residents about Dermot and Saint James.
- If the player character kills Dermot and Saint James, they can talk to Pretty Sarah and show her the evidence in the journal. She will show her disgust and reward the Courier with 4 Med-X. If the player character shows the ledger to her before killing the pair, the player character will not receive anything .
- After killing the pair, Westsiders on the road will immediately add a random comment "We still have it better than those two slavers." to their usual banter.
- Killing the pair before asking them about the disappearances results in failing the quest. However after asking them, they can be killed without gathering evidence from their rooms. Then the player can report back to Parker and tell him that they found evidence despite not gathering any. Despite this, this will not count as a lie.
Behind the scenes
"Coyotes" is a nickname for human traffickers who smuggle people across national borders, particularly the border between the United States and Mexico.
- After accepting this quest, the quest marker on the compass points towards a location that is impossible to reach, making it impossible to speak to Saint James. [verified]
- resurrect or resurrect 1 will enable the correct conversation choices. On a console, if the conversation option doesn't turn up to finish the quest, simply change outfits to 'gang' related outfit, and then talk to him. Usually changing people's opinions about you restarts conversation loops. On the PC, the quest-concluding conversation option appears after entering and exiting conversation with Parker twice and then initiating conversation for a third time. [verified] In both Stage 4 and 5 in some games its impossible to turn in the quest to Parker. Sometimes finishing the conversation and starting a new one will trigger the correct response. If one finds it impossible to turn in the quest on the PC selecting Captain Parker with the console open and typing
- Dermot can disappear from the game completely. [verified]