| ||For an overview of Tesla cannons in the various Fallout games, see Tesla cannon.|
The Tesla cannon is a pre-War designed shoulder-mounted heavy directed energy weapon, designed to replace conventional anti-tank weapons. Based on Nikola Tesla's designs, the weapon entered limited production before the war and remains a rare sight in the wasteland. However, it remains a powerful tool in the hands of a skilled user, as the focused energy blast will not only deliver massive damage to the target, but the nature of the blast will also deliver a potent electric shock.
Near the end of the war between the Brotherhood and the Enclave in the Capital Wasteland, the Brotherhood's scribes under the Order of the Sword worked to build their own Tesla cannons to more effectively counter the Enclave's Vertibird fleet. To do so, the Lone Wanderer was tasked with retrieving a PPE Tesla coil from Olney Powerworks, an experimental piece of pre-war technology.
The modified Tesla cannon employed by Lyons' Brotherhood of Steel is far more powerful than the pre-war Tesla cannon. Discharging a large electrical impulse upon impact with a much larger area of effect. This explosive damage makes the Lyon's model far more suitable for anti-Vertibird use.
The Tesla cannon is a shoulder-mounted energy weapon that is powered by electron charge packs. This weapon has a high Strength requirement for its weight and the fact that it's a recoilless energy weapon. The sound of the Tesla cannon firing has also been changed from the one in Broken Steel. The Tesla cannon is considered a unique class of weapon and therefore cannot benefit from the Jury Rigging perk.
The Tesla cannon can fire a total of about 395 times using standard packs, the equivalent of 99 reloads, from full condition before breaking.
|- Weapon name (melee or unarmed)||- Attacks in V.A.T.S.|
|- Weapon name (gun, energy or explosive)||- Action point cost|
|- Damage per attack (damage per projectile)||- Damage per action point|
|- Damage per second||- Weapon spread|
|- Area of effect damage||- Magazine capacity (shots per reload)|
|- Effect damage & duration||- Durability (number of attacks before breaking)|
|- Bonus effects||- Weight|
|- Attacks per second||- Value in caps|
|- Critical chance % multiplier||- Value to weight ratio|
|- Critical damage||- Skill required|
|- Critical effect damage & duration||- Strength required|
|- With all mods attached|
|Elijah's jury-rigged Tesla cannon||85||154.2||+20/2s||1.58||x2||45||37||3.4||0.00||30(6)||245||8||13500||1687.5||100||8|
- Hidden Valley
- Brotherhood of Steel safehouse
- The Great Khan armorer at the Armory outside of Red Rock Canyon will stock this at random.
- May also be available for purchase at the Silver Rush after level 16.
- Big MT. May be found in
- Y-17 trauma override harnesses at higher levels. Carried by
- Dry Wells. Inside of a high-tech gun case in
- Courier's Mile, inside one of the high-tech gun cases. There may also be one in the
- After completing the Honest Hearts add-on, the cannon will respawn in the Brotherhood safehouse footlocker.
- Because the Tesla cannon uses 5 electron charge packs per shot, it's only possible to get 1 empty electron charge pack from firing the cannon, the same with all energy weapons that use more than 1 cell per shot.
- Due to it previously firing only 1 shot per reload, it ejects single electron charge packs every shot despite only one being loaded. Also, the electron charge pack will not appear after one shot is fired, and the end of the cannon is retracted, but it still ejects another per shot.
Behind the scenesEdit
- The Tesla cannon was originally to be featured in the canceled Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel 2, bearing no resemblance to the weapon in Broken Steel. Described as a "high-powered mass-cannon throwing tessellated plasma forward in an orgy of death and destruction" in the Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel 2 design document, it was to be the so-called "uber-weapon" of player character Maxus. "Uber-weapons" were to be unique weapons for each player character which had to be assembled from 5 parts over the course of the game, or the player could have a NPC assemble one for them. One of the five parts for this weapon was a Tesla coil.
- Nikola Tesla really did try to create a directed energy weapon but it would have been a particle beam weapon called a "Teleforce," something that would be immensely complicated to create.
| || |
- ↑ Future Weapons Today
- ↑ Plot of Shock Value.
- ↑ The Lone Wanderer: "Olney Powerworks? What's there?"
Tristan: "Hopefully you'll be able to find a Tesla coil, an experimental device from before the war. Our scribes need it to complete a little surprise they've been preparing for the Enclave. Get there, get the coil, and get back as safely and quickly as possible. Any questions?"
- ↑ Gameplay differences between the Tesla cannon in Broken Steel and the Tesla cannon in Fallout: New Vegas, as well as Tristan's dialogue confirm this as the modification necessitating the Tesla coil.