The Temple of the Union is a small compound of escaped slaves. The temple's leader, Hannibal Hamlin, dreams of a safe haven for would-be slaves away from slavers. Their respect of Abraham Lincoln is almost reverent and they wish to set up their temple in the Lincoln Memorial - not only because it would be easier to defend, but he is also known to the slaves as the man who ended slavery in America. Because of this, Hannibal Hamlin will offer to buy any of Lincoln's artifacts.
There are several ways to get its marker on the map. The marker may be given to the Lone Wanderer by helping out Mei Wong in Rivet City or by successfully removing a collar from a slave in a random encounter. A map may be found on several corpses of dead slaves.
It is a ruined three-story building that houses a group of escaped slaves. Initially, Abraham Lincoln's head is here on a pedestal and a large inscribed block is leaning against a wall. Completing the quest Head of State will result in the head and block being moved to the Lincoln Memorial. The block is faded, but the words "Temple of the Union" can be made out.
The raider fort is unoccupied until Head of State is completed. An Enclave vertibird may also land there as the Lone Wanderer passes under it. Loot spawns in the raider fort on the collapsed highway to the southwest of the Temple after finishing Head of State and The Waters of Life, including Tales of a Junktown Jerky Vendor, Grognak the Barbarian and a pre-War book.
- A pre-War book in Caleb's room, which must be stolen.
- A miniature hammer can be found here. It is on the floor near where Caleb works.
- Fast travel is disabled when in the Temple or nearby surroundings. The "no fast travel zone" will be slightly highlighted on the Pip-Boy map.
- Although Bill, Simone and Alejandra can be enslaved, firing the Mesmetron inside the Temple will make everyone permanently hostile.
- The Temple is one of the stop-off points for the caravan merchants.
- A 'Type A' random encounter spawns in the interior of the Temple on the second floor, but only after the slaves have moved to the Lincoln Memorial or the Lone Wanderer helped the slavers kill them.
- There is a vertibird landing zone on an elevated highway near the Temple. It occasionally drops off a number of Enclave soldiers and battles often break out between them and the raiders who occupy the open shack on the highway.
- There is a chance that the Lone Wanderer will encounter Talon Company mercs outside after entering a while earlier, prompting a firefight between Talon Company and the slaves.
- Not swearing loyalty to the Temple when talking to Hannibal will result in the Lone Wanderer being "locked" inside until they do. However, this is not an ultimatum as escape can be gained through one of the many windows.
- Hannibal will say that the Lone Wanderer cannot leave; however, nothing will happen if they leave anyway.
- Dogmeat is able to open the door shortly after the Lone Wanderer is locked inside the Temple.
- When fast traveling to the Temple after the slaves have left or been taken care of, a hostile creature or robot will always spawn in front of or near the arrival point. This may pose a threat to caravan merchants as well.
- Being caught picking the Average lock to the storeroom will cause everyone inside the Temple to become hostile.
- Walking back outside after talking to Simone, before she shuts the gate, will result in the Lone Wanderer being locked out; Simone only replies that Hannibal is waiting and will not open the gate again. Access can still be gained by ringing the doorbell located under the "Ring Me" sign, or picking the gate (Very Hard lock).
- There is no noise when the bell is rung; pressing it once will suffice.
- Ringing the bell after having gained possession of a key will result in Simone telling the Lone Wanderer to open the door themselves.
- Many of the items inside the Temple are considered owned even if the slaves move or are killed.
- Right to the west, halfway to Minefield, is the unmarked location the Roach King's throne.
The Temple of the Union appears only in Fallout 3.