|For the repeatable quest item in Fallout 4, see technical document.|
Technical data is a quest item used to initiate and complete the repeatable quest Forbidden Knowledge. The holotape preservation of technology describes the need to collect technical data and deposit it into a secure location in the basement of Camp Venture or give it to Scribe Valdez inside Fort Atlas.
To trigger the quest, the player character must move a piece of technical data from a container to their inventory.
- Chance to spawn in desks.
- Chance to spawn in safes.
- Chance to spawn in blue and orange cylindrical file cabinets.
- Chance to spawn in industrial trunks.
- The numerous desks found in the Whitespring bunker's military section can be regularly visited for technical data. Other places with a high quantity of containers that can hold technical data include: AMS corporate headquarters, Sugar Grove, Watoga High School, Site Alpha, Site Bravo and Site Charlie.
- Technical data stacks, and depositing or handing it in will finish the quest and remove the whole stack from the Vault Dweller's inventory.
- As of Fallout 76 patch 18.104.22.168, technical data can no longer be dropped, sold to vendors or traded with other players.
- Restarting Forbidden Knowledge requires finding a piece of technical data in a container and moving it into the player character's inventory. Conversely, removing all technical data from the player character's inventory will fail the quest.
- Players can deposit the technical data in their stash, and turn in each piece one by one to increase the chance of getting rare items from the loot pool.