Once a normal town with some connections to the Nuka-Cola Corporation, Tanagra Town went through a radical shift after the Great War, in the literal sense. Tanagra Town was moved above the treeline by the strangler vines that have been encroaching on the environment in the Mire. The strangler vine that moved Tanagra Town is a particularly huge family of stranglers and is holding over several hundred cubic meters of dirt and stone as well as the homes that are resting on top in one giant "island." The houses and everything on and in between are still accessible because of the strangler vines, it just takes some skilled climbing and precise jumps. This includes a cave cricket nest around some gold ore and crystal ore deposits with a buried mysterious statue face.
The nature of Tanagra Town is a sight to behold, and one of its previously jaded citizens was even stunned enough by it to be inspired to not commit suicide after the Great War. Tanagra's extraordinary state also attracted the Appalachian Enclave, who erected a field laboratory in close proximity to Tanagra on the grounds of an old warehouse. However, sometime before 2086, the lab experienced a catastrophe that left all personnel missing. Scouts returning on a check-in reported the presence of bloodstains and recovered any sensitive intel to send back to the Congressional bunker. Enclave command further recommended sending a burn team to further coverup their presence at Tanagra, though this never happened.
Upon discovering Tanagra Town, the first thing to notice is the massive landmass located in the middle. This large structure is a tall mass of rock held up vines. These vines wrap around the structure, and have carried a variety of objects along with the town, including cars, houses, fences, and appliances. These objects create a staircase of sorts that can be used to climb up and reach the top of the structure. The entrance is on the southern lip of the crater, over a yellow school bus and eventually brings the player character to the top.
Shortly before the summit, the player character can enter into the ruined mass, passing through a chamber that contains a buried cyclopean statue surrounded by numerous crystal and gold harvest nodes. It uses the same model as those from the Lucky Hole Mine.
On the ground, located in front of the vine structure, is a small shack and a small ruined house. There are trees surrounding the town and a rusted wire fence is located near the small shack. A random big creature will often spawn around the base of the tree, it can either be a deathclaw, fog crawler or mega sloth. More creatures were added to this spawn in Wastelanders.[clarification needed]
There is a locked door in one of the ruined buildings surrounding the tree that requires a key code to open it. The keypad was, at one point, unpowered and unopenable on release. As of patch 126.96.36.199, the keypad in the ruined building works. The code to the keypad is 748250, learned from a terminal entry at the Whitespring bunker. Inside is an Enclave field laboratory (Remote Lab 1.2) with various detritus, a chance for plans for Enclave equipment and a single note.
- Didn't want to hurt them - Note, found in the Enclave research lab to the north. It is on a black counter, past the keypad-locked door.
- Reason to live - Note, found in a house at the top of the tree structure in the middle of town.
- Paired keycard 02 - Found in the broken house at the top of the vine structure, in the roof peak, under a trifold flag.
- Potential Vault-Tec bobblehead - At the summit of the tendril tower, in the collapsed dark gray house with the moonshine still in the bathtub and the Giddyup Buttercup on the main floor, on the headboard of the master bedroom's bed.
- Three potential magazines:
- In the completely open-air and mostly demolished schoolhouse at the top of the tendril tower, on a student's desk that has slid across to the north (lower) side of the schoolhouse floor.
- In the completely open-air and mostly demolished schoolhouse at the top of the tendril tower, by the steel support, one of the only bits of the schoolhouse still standing, on the teacher's desk.
- At the summit of the tendril tower, in the collapsed dark gray house with the moonshine still in the bathtub and the Giddyup Buttercup on the main floor, on the shelf of the headboard of the master bedroom bed.
- Three potential plans:
- Plan: Shielded lining operative underarmor - In a warehouse next to the Tanagra Town bus stop. The code to the keypad is 748250.
- One random plan can be found in the school, on the desk at the top of the vine structure, next to a random weapon.
- One random plan can be found in the school at the top of the vine structure, on a bookshelf near the aforementioned desk. (Armor mod/Power armor mod plan)
- Two potential recipes:
- In a destroyed home on the western side of the town, on a stove.
- In a house at the top of the tree structure in the middle of town.
- Stealth Boy - In an open box at the top of the vine structure, inside the classroom.
- Royal jelly - Consumable, in a bathtub on the top floor of a house at the top of the town.
- Trumpet - On the floor of the bus suspended by the strangler vines. This is one of the only two locations where one can be found.
Tanagra Town appears only in Fallout 76.
Behind the scenes
- Miner barracks and Enclave field lab