| ||For an overview of combat armor variants in all games, as well as background information, see combat armor.|
First created in 2051, the military-grade combat armor was designed to protect key sections of the human body from ballistic trauma with hard armored plates made from complex polymers and ceramics, with a flexible body suit interwoven with thermal-dissipative membranes and bulletproof material. The earliest models of the combat armor were manufactured as specific plates mounted on combat webbing, although as the technology improved, body-enclosing suits of armor were created and entered active combat duty, though in limited quantities. The armor came with a matte-finish olive drab coloring by default, making it suitable for woodland and/or urban camouflage. Prior to the Great War, combat armor was nearly exclusively the property of military forces and special police units. Currently-available historical documentation shows users only in the North American continent, but allied nations were likely to possess identical or similar systems. Combat armor was the de facto armor of the United States military, issued to all combat soldiers not in the powered armor units. Additionally, at least one Canadian partisan was caught on camera wearing a suit of combat armor.
Civilian ownership of combat armor was highly restricted. A special permit was required from the Bureau of Alcohol, Drugs, Tobacco, Firearms and Lasers for private ownership of the combat armor.
The Talon combat armor is the combat armor issued to all of the mercenaries who work for Talon Company. The matching Talon combat helmet is a unique helmet which can only be found on Commander Jabsco, the group's local commander in the Capital Wasteland, who resides in Fort Bannister.
This armor and helmet are black colored variations of the traditional combat armor. The suit bears the Talon Company logo in white on the left breast.
- Ranger battle armor
- Rivet City security uniform
- Combat armor
- Tenpenny security uniform
- Lag-Bolt's combat armor
- Winterized combat armor
- Winterized medic armor
- Ranger battle helmet
- Rivet City security helmet
- Combat helmet
- Winterized combat helmet
- Winterized medic helmet
|The following is based on Fallout 3 cut content and has not been confirmed by canon sources.|
There are unique versions of both armor and helmet in the game files, with different base IDs and better stats. The unique variants have higher Damage Resistance and durability, but can only be obtained by using console commands.
|End of information based on Fallout 3 cut content.|
- The armor can be obtained by killing a Talon Company merc. Fort Bannister is filled with the mercs, making it readily accessible for finding a virtually limitless supply of the suits.
- Engineering core — one set of armor in a room with a bed.
- The helmet can only be obtained from Commander Jabsco in Fort Bannister.
- PC Playstation 3 Xbox 360 When you drop the Talon combat helmet on the ground, it Isn't black like it should be. Instead, it uses the basic world model as the combat helmet. [verified]
- Playstation 3 Xbox 360 If you have two Talon combat armors in your inventory and are wearing one, the one not being worn will take any damage against the equipped armor, effectively giving you invincible combat armor. [verified]