he sometimes seem to fall down and die somewhere in megaton. i reanimated him with ^resurrect after i found him.126.96.36.199 22:11, 12 November 2008 (UTC)
Yeah, pretty crappy bug, since he's pretty good for harvesting karma and EXP if you save up the scrap metal for big hauls. NightChime 08:00, 13 November 2008 (UTC)
- Yeah, I loved giving him scrap metal since I got XP from it, but then he had to go disappear. :( I don't even want to bother giving it to anyone else unless I can get XP from them too. I had about 30 pieces built up, but now I guess it's time to throw them in the trash or something. Bloodbath87 08:15, 19 December 2008 (UTC)
Another picture[edit source]
Could someone please put up a better screenshot of Walter? The one right now is to dark i think.Leea 18:45, 13 February 2009 (UTC)
Yea this disappearing bug seems extremely common with this NPC.
Another bug[edit source]
I had just repaired all the pipes in town, and I went to claim my reward. I did, and I got a dialogue option where I could tell him that Eden wanted to poison the system... Even though i hadn't even met james. has anyone experienced that bug too?
Yes. an annoying glitch. It is not supposed to be said to Walter, Eden want me to poison the project. I suppose it is directed to Elder Lyons.Croquignol 14:32, 23 January 2009 (UTC)
Just happened to me too (PC version). It seems strange to me that we talk to him about that ; however, I'm not sure this is a bug (would it be just random that the bug make us notify this to the only water plant operator ?). I don't think this directed to Elder Lyon (he would answer something more appropriate ; or it would end the quest about the virus, isn't it ?). What is obviously a bug is that I could tell him about the virus before even knowing who Eden was (but, I already finished the game with another character ; it may be the source of the bug).
Too many rads if you ask me[edit source]
I always find him dead in the waters near the bomb. I always thought he died from radiation. 188.8.131.52 13:19, 5 January 2009
NPC's are immune to radiation. Jetty184.108.40.206 19:18, 25 January 2009 (UTC)
Walters name may be based on the word "Water". This seems likely as he runs a water purification plant, plus, knowing bethesda, most names have a deeper meaning. Jetty 220.127.116.11 19:18, 25 January 2009 (UTC)
That is the stupidest idea anyone has ever had. SpellChecker 23:29, 3 April 2009 (UTC)
- LOL 18.104.22.168 17:15, September 21, 2009 (UTC)
Serious Bug[edit source]
Okay,I've encountered a bug with this character and it's very weird:I fixed the pipes but when I searched for him to get my reward I couldn't find him ANYWHERE in Megaton.So,I searched for him and strangely,I discovered him outside of Raven Rock during The American Dream.He was outside standing next to Fawkes.Really.Anyone else see this problem?BTW there were no dialogue options when I found him. HuangLee 16:37, 31 January 2009 (UTC)
- Is this post-patch? If so, that weird as hell, I never even heard of something like that. Are you sure the guy you found at Raven Rock wasn't Nathan?BSMaker 17:33, 31 January 2009 (UTC)
He was just standing there and it was so weird.At first I thought it was Nathan,too.But I'm sure it was him.It doesn't add up,does it?I haven't used a patch,either.It was the first bug I have saw amidst Fallout 3.Except for the Radroaches.He had been missing for so long and I had just assumed he was dead or abandoned Megaton.I have still no idea.Any ideas? HuangLee 01:26, 4 February 2009 (UTC)
Ominous Comment[edit source]
Walter makes this somewhat foreboding comment after you fix the pipes that fixing the pipes is great and all, but that doesn't help us if the water runs out. Is this ever addressed? Does it happen or are you supposed to stop it from happening or something?
- it's just a comment he makes you can't fix running out of water
besides poor walter probably got put out of buisness after project purity got turned on and the brotherhood started shipping water to megaton
Lancer AR 18:28, 3 July 2009 (UTC)
The picture is okay, but if anyone has a lighter, clearer picture of him it would be nice to change it. KingArmery 03:42, November 13, 2009 (UTC)
Slow killing bomb[edit source]
About the comment that he says the bomb is "killing us all" even after defusing the bomb. His quote is all right, he means the radiation from the bomb is killing the town slowly as, of course, the radioactive material does not cease to be radioactive because you defused the bomb. The comment here should be cleaned. Notivago 18:55, January 6, 2010 (UTC)
Anyone play Dead Rising? He looks a lot like Otis... Frank-West 01:59, May 14, 2010 (UTC)
Drinking from Walter[edit source]
The very instant walter is highlighted it flashes the drink action in red quickly then changes to speak option. I've tested and confirmed this myself on PS3 and PC. Move your crosshairs on and off Walter and you will see it. MuzRat 14:30, August 6, 2010 (UTC)
Its not that i don't believe you but could you or some one post a screen shot as proof? Or could at least one other person verify it? Please remember to sign your posts with four tildes (~) JASPER//"Do you like hurting other people?" 13:43, August 6, 2010 (UTC)
- Stop deleting my comment on this talk page. I tested extensively, there is NO option to drink from Walter. Perhaps when you talk to him he's near some owned drinkable water? I dunno but it's a glitch on your end, not a bug in the game. Kris (talk) 14:09, August 6, 2010 (UTC)
- Well don't delete mine then. I'm sorry I just know it to be true and I'm sure that it was listed in the bug section like 6-9 months ago and has for some reason been long removed. Besides, how do you explain it happening to me on both PS3 and PC. I believe that eliminates it from being an isolated issue. The locker in the Water Processing Plant seems to do this as well. MuzRat 14:30, August 6, 2010 (UTC)
- I didn't delete your comment. You altered mine to say something else and slapped your name on it, so I reverted that. Kris (talk) 15:01, August 6, 2010 (UTC)
- Whatever it was my bad I didn't mean to offend.. Anyway it just got verified so does it matter now? Both of us are just trying for article accuracy right? MuzRat 15:54, August 6, 2010 (UTC)
- Indeed; accuracy is the key here. I'll take the word of two others over my own experiences, for the same reason I'll discount a single person's account that I can't confirm. Kris (talk) 16:08, August 6, 2010 (UTC)
- No worries, that's a fair logic. Anyway I did a bit of poking around and this bug was listed in Revision as of 02:46, 15 January 2010 of this article. I also went back and tested the bug again and it only seems to happen in the Water Processing Plant and also happens with followers and some objects in the building and possibly NPCs that flee to the building when under attack. This bug doesn't happen to Walter anywhere else so maybe somebody should reword it and move it to the Water Processing Plant article and I could Youtube it if it would still be helpful. MuzRat 08:35, August 7, 2010 (UTC)
- It doesn't matter I edited it. What about a video but on the other article? MuzRat 09:02, August 7, 2010 (UTC)
Just so you know...I've played the game for well over 1000 hours on the PS3 and I've noticed that anywhere with a lot of water present, such as Rivet City or the Nuka-Cola Factory can have this glitch. I never noticed it anywhere without a large source of water nearby however...it's possible that that has something to do with it. ~Trog
Walter RETURNS???[edit source]
Xbox 360. Fixed the pipes, sold some scrap metal...one day Walter ain't in the plant and he does not show up for days. Having read here, I give up on the poor old guy and go on about my business. Flash forward many levels and...I dunno, a month give or take maybe. I'm in front of Craterside Supply after closing and an NPC admonishes me for thinking about breaking in...it's Walter! He behaves just like normal, buying scrap metal.
I found Walter missing and I became concerned, I looked at the wiki page and found it was common for him to die due to rads, I checked the pool and the town and did not find him, fearing the worst I player.moveto commanded to his location and found him and Billy in a strange place, in an expanse of open sky filled with nothing but bushes, I explored this place and found Megaton again in the distance, it's doors were closed like it originally is, but I was able to walk through them, and pressed e to enter the door... which brought me outside of megaton as if I had just left it. Total LSD Dream Emulator flashback.
I think Walters disappearance is NOT a bug. I heared 2 guys in "The Brass Lantern" talking about his death. 22.214.171.124 14:56, February 12, 2014 (UTC)