I came across this signal while being in an area close to the Citadel. What's up with that?--MercZ 08:38, 30 November 2008 (UTC)
Do they actually say peoples, or is it just people? (I'd like to know since i'm trying to root out grammar errors, typos and such.) Echo11
- Are you referring to "All peace-loving peoples must join together to stop the war of aggression being waged by the Wall Street gang. "? Peoples is actually correct there (in the sense of nations). // Porter21 U | T 21:39, 16 January 2009 (UTC)
If you listen...the woman speaking is foreign....that's probably just how she speaks...! It's no mistake....it's actually the opposite and kinda clever!! :)
I don't suppose it should be mentioned that she clearly says "Peace-roving" and "Araskan front" 220.127.116.11 03:55, December 2, 2009 (UTC)
- That's weird. Mandarin Chinese speakers don't normally have trouble with the English "r" sound. That's more a Japanese trait.
Just curious - does it sound like they updated the sound files in a patch to make them less stereotypical? I'm on my second playthrough, and it sounds like it might have been "sanitized..." 18.104.22.168 05:18, 11 February 2009 (UTC)
How so? I still hear things about the "wahr stleet gahng." 22.214.171.124 03:47, 15 June 2009 (UTC)
Tokyo Rose Edit
Why's the article mention Tokyo Rose? She was an urban legend. No broadcaster, including Iva Toguri, broadcast under that moniker during World War Two, the GIs just adopted it as a generic name for the half dozen or so english-speaking propagandists. 126.96.36.199 03:22, 11 May 2009 (UTC)
- How could it be an "urban legend" and also a generic name for a half-dozen propagandists? This is a popularly accepted term. See WikipAAedia for more information. --188.8.131.52 15:23, 6 June 2009 (UTC)
- The placement alongside actual people, like Axis Sally, Hanoi Hannah and so on implies she was a real person. The urban legend is that Tokyo Rose was an actual person, which is false. As the link that you yourself posted points out, the actual moniker used by Iva Toguri was Orphan Ann. 184.108.40.206 09:38, February 7, 2010 (UTC)
Engrish Complaints Edit
I'm moderating the claim that L/R ambiguity is a 'distinctly Japanese linguistic trait'. Firstly, many Asiatic languages (including a number of dialects of Chinese) don't train speakers to correctly pronounce the variations of L and R found in English. Furthermore, while Mandarin speakers shouldn't suffer the difficulties in at least differentiating 'R' and 'L' sounds, there are other problems involving the correct spelling and reading of English words by those Mandarin speakers accustomed to Pinyin. 220.127.116.11 02:14, October 1, 2009 (UTC)
- The "r" sound in English and Mandarin Chinese is essentially identical and is shared by very few other languages. The technical term for it is retroflex approximant.
- The "l" sound in English and Mandarin Chinese is essentially identical. The technical term for it is alveolar lateral approximant.
- I've spent most of my working life teaching English to Chinese people, sometimes in North America, sometimes in Taiwan or the Mainland. To the best of my recollection, I have never once heard a Chinese person, whether they spoke Mandarin, Cantonese, Taiwanese, Shanghai dialect, or Hakka, mess up the l/r distinction in the way that you describe. Except perhaps in a Charlie Chan movie.
Static being bombs? Edit
The article now states that the static at the end of the message is caused by the bombs. How can you be sure of this? I find it not nearly as convincing as the recordings made in the Dunwich building. - Redmess 09:49, November 30, 2009 (UTC)
- I will take it out. It seems to be speculation. KingArmery 05:08, December 1, 2009 (UTC)
Morse in the end? Edit
I have been walking around the Citadel picking this signal and there seems to be audio that is similar to more code after she finishes talking in the end segment?
hear it in the pitt Edit
you can hear it in the pit by getting out of the steelyard to find that billy guy thanks to that bug on the ps3, you go south east ( getting out of the city, the river and the hills ) and you can catch it ( this is my first time talking on hear so i dont know if im clicking the right stuff to talk on this wiki sorry if im doing anything wrong )