This talk page is only for discussing improvements to the page "Paralyzing Palm."


It says you have to be completely unarmed, but does a weapon that uses the unarmed skill count, or not? 16:18, 3 November 2008 (UTC)

That's going to be difficult to tell. Before I got the perk, I was causing knock-outs with barehand attacks, so it's possible that attacks with unarmed weapons can give an effect similar to Paralyzing Palm. -- 03:25, 15 November 2008 (UTC)

This only works with no weapons (not even unarmed skill ones) this makes it USELESS at this point of 20th level. Seriously, don't get it.-Accountless Avenger --> FALSE. See below.

  • Accountless Avenger fails again. On VH Deathclaws and the rock hard creatures added by broken steel take a long time to go down and do massive damage. This perk completely disables them for a while giving you time to hack the crap out of them. You can defeat ridiculously hard enemies without even suffering a scratch.-- 21:49, September 5, 2009 (UTC)
I got this perk, and I find it still extremely useful in certain situations, some of the more troublesome enemies (Behemoths, Deathclaws) are taken out with ease. Obviously a sufficient level of AP will help, because you're kinda screwed if the palm doesn't activate! If you still don't see the usefullness, you can't disagree this is a very funny perk, paralyzing some poor shmuck in a stupid position86.141.200.202 21:55, 14 February 2009 (UTC)

This perk works with ALL unarmed weapons, from bare fists to the power fist. I've heard that not having a weapon can make it happen more often, or for longer periods of time but I haven't seen anything in game to confirm this.Galcoe 01:35, 17 December 2008 (UTC)

Confirmed. I've paralyzed an enemy using the Deathclaw Gauntlet on several occasions.
Confirmed also. I've taken down a Super Mutant Behemoth with just a Deathclaw Gauntlet and no drugs thanks to PP. Obviously it's much easier to get headshots when he's lying on the ground.

With PP Grim reapers sprint and action boy [AB optional] if you can hit 4 times you should knock down [30% + 30% + 30% + 30% is a 110 % chance to knock down] wiith the sprint you can keep doing it--SixDog of The Destroyers 14:25, 25 March 2009 (UTC)

The chances don't stack. It's a 30% chance per VATS strike, not an event rigged to happen every four hits. Dthvirus 00:53, 26 March 2009 (UTC)
If it is a 30% chance for each strike, the the odds of getting at least one success in 4 strikes is roughly 76%. -- 23:37, 11 May 2009 (UTC)
Actually, with 110 AP (10 AG + Action Boy), one can queue 5 bare hands attacks in VATS, allowing for 30/100 * 5 or 1.5 Paralyzing Palms on average (obviously not possible in practice). This means it is very likely that you are able to execute the move every VATS round. 21:46, November 4, 2009 (UTC)ß

Your math is incorrect. The easiest way to calculate the likelihood of an event of known probability happening with repeated attempts is to determine the probability of that event not happening. To use your example of 5 tries at 30%, you can say the probability of each try failing is 70% or 0.7. Five tries would give 0.7 x 0.7 x 0.7 x 0.7 x 0.7 = 0.16807. Now go 1 - 0.16807 = 0.83193 so the probability of 5 tries at 30% succeeding is about 83%. 18:37, December 17, 2012 (UTC)

Ah.Right--SixDog of The Destroyers 17:03, 26 March 2009 (UTC)

This is one of the most powerful perks in the game when you have to face a single enemy at time. It works with all unarmed weapons and can be a great perk to fight strong enemies like deathclaws: when the V.A.T.S session comes to its end, the poor deathclaw will remain there immobilized for you to finish it with your favourite weapon or still unarmed if you are quick enough to kill it before the paralyzing effect expires. Combined with a low AP cost unarmed weapon, such as Plunkett's Valid Points, and/or Action Boy perk, you' ll probabily paralyze any deathclaw or Super Mutant Behemoth who dares to annoy you. Like many other perks though, this is not a "god-mode" perk and the chance to paralyze is limited (30%). That's why i recommend to choose this perk along with Action Boy and a weapon like Plunkett's Valid Points (available with the Lawbringer perk): the more you can hit in a single V.A.T.S sequence, the more chances you have to paralyze enemies.-- 13:54, 14 May 2009 (UTC)

LOVE this perk. I've noticed it activates a lot less when the VATS sequence of attacks is split between 2+ enemies. Has anyone else? 23:22, October 5, 2009 (UTC)

This Perk for an empty-handed build Edit

I assumed because it said completely unarmed in the description that brass knuckles and whatnot were out. Meanwhile, I've taken out whole crowds of high level super mutants by rushing around, giving a couple of empty handed strikes to each, and hoping for a PP. Failing that, a non vats punch to the head works, but not for as long. If this still works with the deathclaw guantlet, my pushing 180 unarmed character is positively hell on wheels.

Empty hand recipe: starting en 5, str 4 saving all unarmed books and bobble heads until I hit 100 natural unarmed skill Iron Fist *3 tag! unarmed late in game (after reaching 100)

p.s. this perk works on sentry bots and behemoths too.

Pir8p3t3 (talk) 21:28, November 20, 2012 (UTC)

Chuck Norris Edit

If there was a Chuck Norris character in Fallout 3 he'd have to have this perk. ONLY TEN TIMES BETTER!!! --LoneMerc101 16:55, 12 July 2009 (UTC)

Length of Paralysis Edit

Has anybody actually timed the length? 30 seconds is a long time, and I am almost certain this perk does not last that long, if I had to estimate I'd say it's probably around 10 seconds. I play on Very Hard and primarily use it to deal with Reavers, Albino Scorps and Overlords, as these three enemies have huge HP totals and just do a ton of damage. Especially when there are multiples of any of those, I've noticed the enemies get up fairly quickly, and even in solo it's tough to drain an overlords bar before recovery with most weapons (Terrible Shotgun or Novasurge, both of which have very high damage outputs).

Also, it's obviously better to use Plunkett's or Steel Knuckles, as both of these have a lower AP cost than barehanded. Barehanded is 22 AP cost, whereas the former two are 15 and 14 respectively. 05:30, November 23, 2009 (UTC)VDP101

I'm pretty confident its 30, whenever i paralyze something they stay down for WAY longer than 10 secs. Maybe your confusing the perk with knockout blows? Fall-in 20:40, December 16, 2009 (UTC)

Okay I've got a neat situation: I was lvl 30, 10 Agility, Action Boy perk, Ledoux's Mask, Ranger Battle armor, and Steel Knuckles, giving me ten attacks per VATS round. I got in three paralyzing palms on one enemy. My question is, if someone could survive this, would the three palms stack (paralyzing my enemy for 30 seconds for each palm, meaning 90 seconds), or does the paralysis of all three attacks run concurrently? I killed the guy before he got up, so I don't know myself. 04:21, August 22, 2010 (UTC)

I'd think that the two PPs after the first would only refresh the thirty second 'paralysis timer'; it that's true, then only the last PP would really be effective. Of course, you'd still receive the benefit of having paralyzed the enemy earlier in the sequence, so they can't hit you while you're in VATS-mode and can't dodge. RolandVH 22:10, November 24, 2010 (UTC)

Paralyzing Bullets? Edit

I got this perk recently, and I noticed that while shooting a deathclaw, it froze and dropped to the ground for at least 10 seconds. It had most of a health bar, so it wasn't dead. Could my PP perk have affected this shot?

Weapons that work with Paralyzing Palm Edit

Looking into GECK, it seems that PP only works with weapons under the H2HWeaponsA form list, which ONLY includes brass knuckles, spiked knuckles, power fist and deathclaw gauntlet. Given this, it seems that except for bare hands and the H2HWeaponsA weapons, the other unarmed based weapons will not activate paralyzing palm, not even the unique variants of the H2HWeaponsA weapons (e.g. Love and Hate). Yiron 16:27, January 8, 2011 (UTC)

Moved from the Bugs section. Edit

Took these out of the Bugs section. This because it's a strategy:

  • You can use Paralyzing Palm to pick-pocket human NPCs. To do this without upsetting factions, save and attack the desired target in V.A.T.S. with an unarmed weapon, reloading until you paralyze them. When you do, quickly holster your fists. Items can now be taken out of their inventory without fear of getting caught. This can be combined with reverse-pickpocketing techniques, like stealing ammo to get NPCs to put weapons into their inventory, or giving them superior armor, making their former attire pickpocket ready.

And this because, although a bug, it's a pretty unlikely sequence of events and I'm not sure anyone else would ever see it:

  • If you paralyze an enemy, shoot it with the Gauss rifle, let paralysis wear off, and then finally paralyze the enemy a second time, the enemy sprite will appear to melt onto the ground until the effects wear off. If you then shoot the enemy in V.A.T.S. while in this state, there is a chance the enemy will reform and fly off into the distance from the knock back of the Gauss rifle.

Saved here for editing. --FourWayDiablo 17:23, August 6, 2011 (UTC)

I took care of that ;). Itachou [~talk~] 18:06, August 6, 2011 (UTC)

Just a question: Edit

If i add the perk via addperk command did i get the ability to paralyze or just the perk itself on the pipboy section? -- 08:18, July 24, 2012 (UTC)

It should, like most perks in-game. Energy X 08:32, July 24, 2012 (UTC)

Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.

Fandom may earn an affiliate commission on sales made from links on this page.

Stream the best stories.

Fandom may earn an affiliate commission on sales made from links on this page.

Get Disney+