- 1 Proper name
- 2 Mods
- 3 Picture pwease?
- 4 will boone use this like a rifle
- 5 Hunting Shotgun? Really?
- 6 Hunting Shotgun? Really? YES!!!
- 7 You don't need to find one Elijah built it
- 8 The thing is that...
- 9 What about it?
- 10 I can't firgure this gun out
- 11 well, yes... but...
- 12 Invincible
- 13 What does it really look like?
- 14 Found or made?
- 15 Reloading of a Shotgun?
- 16 Gotta love Pointless discussions
- 17 Unlimitted HP cap for Holorifle.
- 18 Spread
- 19 DoT?
- 20 Companions cannot use?
- 21 Effected by Cowboy perk?
- 22 Yes, it really is that powerful
- 23 set lasers for fun
- 24 Jury-rigging
- 25 Well... shit.
- 26 how to get ammo for it during dead money DLC.
- 27 Holorifle only using Bulk ammo and not standard MF cells
- 28 Holorifle can be repaired with Grenade Rifle
- 29 Holorifle variants are perhaps the mods
- 30 Commando Perk does work with the Holorifle
- 31 Holorifle Disappears From Christine Inventory
Proper name[edit source]
Alright, I need to know, what is the proper pip-boy name for this gun, because even though I set up this article to be the main one, I'm wondering if Holo-rifle was the right formatting. I don't have the xbox version of NV and therefore cannot correct this without outside verification. Mediocrity Goggles 00:46, December 22, 2010 (UTC)
In the xbox its non hyphenated. Just Holorifle
I found a security code to unlock the "Holo rifle focusing lens" at vending machines. It adds +3 dmg to the gun (just like laser rifle focusing lens) Can't remember exactly where I found it but I didn't have to check every nook and cranny it was in plain view. Anyway i'm wondering if there could be more mods that I just didn't find (is that something you could check with the GECK?) and when someone else finds it please add it to the page 'cause as I said earlier, I don't remember where I got it. --anonymous--
The Focusing lens is found in the Bell tower, you go there for part of a quest. 188.8.131.52 05:41, December 22, 2010 (UTC)
I have the directions to find the holorifle advanced calibration mod: Go to the cafe in puesta del sol south , then go upstairs and take the southern exit. Then turn right without falling from the edge and you should come across a taller building. If you look carefully , there's a ramp on its left side (when lookin to the west) : climb it and ,to your right, the code for the mod should be laying on the ground , along with some drained MF cells . vvhh1 december 22, 2010
Is it possible to mod the holorile with all 3 mods!!??
Picture pwease?[edit source]
I'm a PS3 player, so I can't get Dead Money for a while and really want to see all the weapons. But no-one seems to have a picture or at the least screenshot of the Holorifle. And I dow ant to see what it looks like.
BTW Merry Christmas.
will boone use this like a rifle[edit source]
i know companions are supost to have a bonus effect with the type of weapon they favor i dont know what the bonus is and to what kind of effect it was if its just raul being abel to hit a target better with a 9mm piltol that boone would or whatever anyway im wondering if boone will treat this like a rifle or energy weapon im guessing energy weapon if so thats pritty cool i guess finaly i could use arcade as a companion allthough i will have to wait about half a year for the game of the year edition to come out
Hunting Shotgun? Really?[edit source]
Who claimed that this weapon uses parts from a hunting Shotgun? It mentions in the damn intro of the article it's built off of a grenade launcher... Please, somebody fix that.
Hunting Shotgun? Really? YES!!![edit source]
How do you think you will find grenade launcher in sierra madre???
You don't need to find one Elijah built it[edit source]
Seriously, arguing that these two are not almost exactly the same is willful ignorance.
It's obviously the grenade launcher. Reasoning:
-Visually too large to be the hunting shotgun. The shotgun's barrel and magazine tube are much smaller.
-Four round magazine capacity, an MF cell is about the same size as a 40mm grenade. Guess the capacity of the grenade launcher? 4 rounds.
-I'm not blind. Just look.
It doesn't have to be possible to acquire one inside the sierra Madre, Elijah did that bit. It's needless speculation to say you can't get one in.
You're really smart. Oh wait, I mean there are absolutely no differences between a grenade launcher and a laser gun that shoots freekin' holograms! We all know they look alike. Get over it. A 9mm isn't the same as 10mm, but their ammunition looks to be about the same size! The Milkman 05:47, September 13, 2011 (UTC)
The thing is that...[edit source]
Well,what about shell jumping out???
What about it?[edit source]
The Grenade launcher has an ejection port too, you know... And as far as I can see from youtube videos the MF cell is ejected just like the 40mm shells from the Grenade launcher.
Also, how would the MF Cell get out of the Hunting shotgun? The hole in the side just isn't big enough.
I can't firgure this gun out[edit source]
What is so special about this weapon that it had to have it's own DLC for an introduction? Does it do amazing-super-awesome damage? I tried shooting ghost people with it and all it did was knock them unconscious, no severed limbs. CAN it even disintegrate them? When I saw this gun, I thought maybe it would be the one weapon that could kill security holograms, but no dice. Zac hemker 18:05, January 9, 2011 (UTC)
LOL yes its literally a powerful energy rifle, probably one of the most powerful in the game with all mods..its got a decent DPS, high damage (I believe I have over 120 in damage with 83 in energy skill) and after I read a magazine, this badboy is capable of taking down most enemies all too easily (giant radscorpions literraly turn to dust when im sniping them lol) this is pretty much one of the best sniping energy weapon..probably because your able to keep a aim on an enemy in case you miss (you have 3 shots after the first)so yes..this gun is probably well worth it :3
It's not one of the most powerful, it IS the most powerful (probably absurdly so). Ranger Sarina 18:00, January 29, 2011 (UTC)
I still found it disappointing. The projectiles travel too slowly to warrant a scope and I just don't like the repurposed Grenade Launcher chassis. Zac hemker 05:51, July 10, 2011 (UTC)
well, yes... but...[edit source]
you need to find the upgrades before you can use it to it's fullest potential. it rarely vaporizes people, which is cool because it leaves behind more loot... I think, and it's really the best energy rifle I have, other than YCS-186, but YCS-186 takes a while before it can fire again. It's also pretty cool to look at your targets when you use it on them.
Actually vaporizing enemies has no effect on how much loot they leave behind. If you search their ash piles you'll find everything they had on them. I don't know if it effects their armor condition or not, although I suspect not. Zac hemker 23:48, January 21, 2011 (UTC)
I'm just confirming that when having the reinforcements parts mod, this gun doesn't lose any damage. I have all 3 mods + Energy skills at 86 + using Microfusion Cells Max Charge and it kills anything easy. I went to the Deathclaw Promintary (I think it's spelled that) and had 2 stealth boys and this gun and one shot killed everything there. Dunno about the Alpha claws cause I nuked them, but yeah, this gun is invincible and awesome.
- I am with you on this one, love using it for medium range sniping, the sneak attack critical add on makes it leathal; still use the anti-materiel rifle for the long range stuff though :o) Desktopcarl 11:00, December 12, 2011 (UTC)
What does it really look like?[edit source]
I just started playing a few days ago and it sounds like this thing looks a little weird or something. I've also noticed that their are no good pictures for Dead Moneys stuff for some reason. All of them looks like their out of a book.
A book would be better than an Xbox.
Found or made?[edit source]
I'm somewhat confused here. If I recall correct, Elijah does mention having found it as well as built it. Could it be that he found a seriously damaged Holorifle and "made it working" or did he "found" some schematics and "built" the weapon from it?. To add a little bit to its appearence: in both the cases "found" and "built", the Grenade Launcher is probably nothing more than an appropriate casing for the tech that's inside it, with parts of it fixed to the exterior. In case of "found" (and repaired) it could be that a pre-war engineer used the Grenade Launcher as a template for the casing of the weapon, in case of "built" Elijah must have thought the same thing as the engineer in the previous situation. PS. I like this weapon.... a lot. Radnus 03:38, February 24, 2011 (UTC)
- So did he find ones in the Big Empty, take a look at them, and then MacGuyver one together to give to whatever poor sap he lured into Sierra Madre rather than risk losing a pristine model to the Ghost people? Or is this some crappy old version he didn't mind losing? 184.108.40.206 02:54, February 27, 2011 (UTC)
- He did mind losing it, as he says in the same signal, that he spent forever making it and he most get it back when this is all done. However he does not state that he based it off any tech he found in the Big Empty, so I have no what source that detail came from. Although the Big Empty is full of Old World tech, it might state in a dialogue file that he did or someone is assuming that he did since he recently visited the place. 19:00, February 27, 2011 (UTC)
Reloading of a Shotgun?[edit source]
Sorry, but only people who do not play with an explosive build say the realoading is like the Hunting Shotgun, it reloads exactly like the Grenade Launcher. Brfritos 22:33, March 2, 2011 (UTC)
- I dont know why people are argueing, a quick look at the GECk tells you that, you guessed it, it uses the same animation as both the grenade rifle and the hunting shot gun. In fact all 3 use the same animation and all reload at 0.4667 seconds per shell/pack. 23:34, March 2, 2011 (UTC)
basically, it reloads like a grenade rifle, but fires like a hunting shotgun. right? folf182 23:33, March 2, 2011 (UTC)
- Basically it reloads like both the Hunting shotgun and the grenade rifle, since they all use the same reload animation, the only difference being the actual models used and size. As for firing it uses the same animation as the Hunting shotgun, but not the Grenade rifle. 00:41, March 3, 2011 (UTC)
- It fires exactly like the grenade rifle also. Brfritos 01:58, March 3, 2011 (UTC)
Gotta love Pointless discussions[edit source]
Essentually 90% of what's above this is just "it is based off a Grenade Launcher!" "No it's based off a Hunting Shotgun!" Truth is, it doesn't matter. It is an Energy Weapon, you get it for free by simply entering the Sierra Madre, it has a Scope, uses easy to obtain ammo and it deals increadible damage when fully modded and loaded with Maxcharge MF cells. - FieryWrath 22:24, March 5, 2011 (UTC)
Unlimitted HP cap for Holorifle.[edit source]
At PC version the Holorifle Mod: Holorifle reinf. components, make the Holorifle to have no limit on hp. That doesn't make it undestructible as many other people said but it can be used like forever without repair. Also you can sell it for a lot of caps using a large amount of weapon repair kits (I manage to reach 152000 weapon value with almost 70 weapon repair kits). I don't know if it changes anything but I already had also the Holorifle adv. calibration installed on the Holorifle.
Absolute0 17:22, March 10, 2011 (UTC)
Please, does someone know what is the spread when adv calibration modded ? 220.127.116.11 20:26, March 26, 2011 (UTC)
- Added info to the page. 20:44, March 26, 2011 (UTC)
- Thanks ! 18.104.22.168 21:18, March 26, 2011 (UTC)
Is the DoT 15 for 3 seconds (45) or 15 over 3 seconds (meaning 5/sec)
Companions cannot use?[edit source]
Hi, I'm playing the game on xbox and recently gave the holorifle to Arcade with ammo and everything, he equips it, but when combat begins he switches to his unique defender pistol. What I want to know is if this is a common problem for all companions, or just restricted to Arcade? BillyH666 20:07, May 19, 2011 (UTC)
Step 1. Check the Condition- If the gun is at a low enough condition that it's DPS is lower than his default he will switch to his plasma defender. Step 2. Check the ammo- Companions cannot use most ammo types other than standard ammunition, if you have given him max charge or overcharge rounds, it will not work. Step 3. Check you companion's stats, companions will not equip weapons unless they have equal to or more than the skill requirement for the corresponding weapon. Step 4. Check the GECK- Some weapons are slated as player only in the GECK causing them to be unusable to anyone but the player, if this is one of those weapons, there is no way a Follower or any NPC can wield this weapon without going into the GECK and editing the weapon's characteristics. --Chaos Reigns 11:57, May 30, 2011 (UTC)
- Step 2 is flawed, companions will use any type of ammunition, but only one type of them. If you give them regular and special ammo at the same time, they will always use the regular ones. As the weapon itself, Gannon will only switch his weapon for another EW with more DPS than a Plasma Defender. The Holofire has less. Brfritos 06:46, June 6, 2011 (UTC)
Effected by Cowboy perk?[edit source]
I'm curious on whether this is effected by Cowboy perk, as it is technically a lever-action weapon. I'm on 360 so can't check myself. Also, is this weapon really as powerful as people say it is? I keep hearing it's on par with Gauss Rifle but I haven't seen any evidence of this in game. Have relevant str, perks, and upgraded fully...
~Anonymous of the Wastes 7/15/11
No. It is a pump action weapon, not lever action. Furthermore, it is an energy weapon, not a gun.
It is arguably more powerful than a gauss rifle. A critted head-shot will one-shot an alpha male deathclaw on normal difficulty. And it only uses 1 MFC per shot.
Yes, it really is that powerful[edit source]
First off, the Holorifle is not affected the Cowboy perk because it is not a shotgun. Keep in mind that Elijah constructed it with whatever materials he could find. He had to escape the Big Empty, because Ulysses showed up to fight him. Therefore, it would make sense that he cobbled various mechanisms together to create the Holorifle. It clearly has parts from a grenade launcher and clearly has a shotgun's breech-loading mechanism; however, those parts make it neither a shotgun nor a grenade launcher.
Next, the Holorifle really is as powerful as people say it is. The ammunition it uses is relatively common and it has a night scope, a rare component in the Mojave Wasteland. Additionally, it does damage over time, so it obviates most forms of armor and chews right away at the target's health. The strengths of the Holorifle in a nutshell are as follows:
1. It can function as a short-to-mid range weapon. 2. It corrodes the target's health, making fewer shots necessary. 3. The ammunition it uses is relatively abundant. 4. It has a night scope.
Cornelius Plautus 15:53, July 16, 2011 (UTC)
- Holorifle is crap. (-1.) Only useful with all mods, its really hard to get to mods in Sierra Madre from start. (-2.) The projectile is slow moving compared to bullet, this makes is very difficult to use against Ghost People. (-3.) This also makes it very difficult to use for headshots - the best method to bring GP down. (-4.) It can´t be repaired with anything, except Weapon Repair Kits - which require a lot of items to be crafted. (-5.) Has low item HP that multiples that. (-6.) Its damage is very comparable to police pistol, while having only 4 bullets and manual reloading. (-7.) Only somewhat useful with maxcharge, that wear down the gun exceptionally fast. I am using "More perks" mod that gives (non-canon) "Unexpected Happiness" perk, that gives a very very slim chance to find a random weapon or loot in container. Well, I found a hunting rifle. This thing blows holorifle out of water in terms of shoot time, bullet speed, damage, precision, ammunition use, magazine, reload speed, item HP. I am 100 and 100 in guns and energy (both tagged) btw. Just follow Elijah own advice - and get rid of this gun asap.22.214.171.124 13:36, October 22, 2014 (UTC)
- Small note: Grenade Launcher's loading mechanism. 17:13, July 16, 2011 (UTC)
set lasers for fun[edit source]
I wonder if it is affected by "Set lasers for fun". Unlike "laser commander" and "plasma spaz" this prize perk must affect ALL energy weapons, but I am not entirely sure about Holorifle.
If the Holorifle can't be repaired through jury-rigging why does the table list it under the Energy Weapons (Other) category? 126.96.36.199 22:43, August 13, 2011 (UTC)
Well... shit.[edit source]
This is pretty worthless for someone who doesn't use the energy skill. i swear it's like shooting bubbles at things. I'd rather use the police pistol than this. --Felix Brehh 06:07, October 15, 2011 (UTC)
how to get ammo for it during dead money DLC.[edit source]
theres no code for microfusion cells. where do i find ammo?
You will find more than enough drained mf cells, and other energy canisters. Convert other type into mf cells. You will have enough to use this gun, be assured of that. it's even more economical to save them until you get the mod that increase durability. With that and normal mf cells you wont wear out the gun much.
Holorifle only using Bulk ammo and not standard MF cells[edit source]
This is very strange, also since I can't see any topics about it, but from the beginning of Dead Money, I haven't been able to change my ammotype from the 25 custom MF Cell, Bulk I get with the rifle. I've tried both the ammoswap button and changing manually in the Pip-Boy (the standard ammo is highlighted, but does not get chosen when I click it).
Has anyone else had this issue, and is there a solution to the issue? BusinessMonkey 10:19, June 14, 2012 (UTC)
- Never mind. I dropped the Bulk ammo and switched, and it worked perfectly, now I can even swap back and forth when I'm equipping both types. BusinessMonkey 10:22, June 14, 2012 (UTC)
Holorifle can be repaired with Grenade Rifle[edit source]
I just repaired a Holorifle with a Grenade Rifle. I have jury rigging but I'm not sure if it's required. If someone more wiki savvy could update the main page that'd be great.
No it is not. I've just checked myself, with a few other guns (Glauncher, grifle, huntingshotgun...). Holorifle, with or without mods, cant be repaired by them. I suspect your game contain a mod to do so and you dont read the readme carefully. In Dead Money or normal, game, holorifle require weapon repair kits and that's it. PCv140525. Laclongquan (talk) 07:48, May 28, 2013 (UTC)
Holorifle variants are perhaps the mods[edit source]
From Elijah's dialogue files - "It is a holorifle, a weapon I constructed when I arrived... I have since made superior models - and modifications."
Perhaps he mean the actual mods, perhaps Elijah did scrap these models and only let left the mods for the Holorifle he gives to the PC. Just my opinion, nothing to add to the article. :P --188.8.131.52 16:51, September 23, 2013 (UTC)
Commando Perk does work with the Holorifle[edit source]
I've personally tested this weapon with the commando perk. It does increase the Holorifle's accuracy in VATs. I used the NCR guard outside of Camp McCarran as my test subject. 184.108.40.206 03:08, December 1, 2013 (UTC)
Holorifle Disappears From Christine Inventory[edit source]
Traded the Holorifle to Christine and let her use it during the quest to recruit her, however the weapon completely diasppeared from her inventory a little while afterward. I have been unable to get it back other than reloading a previous save. Thought this might be something to add in the Bugs section to save potential headaches. (360) --220.127.116.11 03:04, November 30, 2014 (UTC)Revan
Yes. At least to the best of my knowledge, I was tanking all the hits using melee and told her to keep distance. Not only that, I use stealth whenever possible (100 Sneak) and avoid fights. That's why it seems odd.--18.104.22.168 03:20, November 30, 2014 (UTC)