Random Encounters; Do they exist?[edit source]
Actually they do exist - albeit they are less obvious when you do run into them, I ran into one straight off after completing the gecko hunting tutorial with Sunny Smiles - If you head north-ish towards the general direction of the graveyard you will within a few yards see a refrigerator laying on the ground - as you come close to it a picture of Pip-boy looking dazed will appear in the upper left-hand corner of the screen with "....." and you will see a skeleton wearing a "Suave Gambler's Hat"
Its a ding on the Indiana Jones "Hiding in a fridge totally works against a nuclear blast" bit - I haven't tested whether the event is still there without the trait, but I assume they all go along these lines so yes, there likely are random events.
May 16 2011--------------------------
I can't recall a single one.
Me neither, and I'm almost done the game, and discovered all locations. Anyone want to shed some light on this?
They only occur with the Wild Wasteland trait, and guys, dont forget your signature ;) Gheart 21:22, October 30, 2010 (UTC)
I don't think I had one either, but it could be random events such as random people coming up to you, cause I've had some of those, but I think those matter on what your actions in the past were.
Also if you're vilified with the NCR theres a random encounter where they initiate a conversation and then attack you.
It's too bad there aren't too many random encounters... they were one of the funnest parts of Fallout 3. I think the random encounters in New Vegas might be bugged though, since I haven't experienced any yet. When I did the Nipton quest I went after the people who were abducted and when I killed the Legionaires there and got the "Vilified" rep, 2 assassins popped up out of nowhere, but nothing has happened since then. I also noticed my Legion rep kept changing without me doing anything (if anything I kept getting bad legion rep)... --Penumbra 02:53, November 3, 2010 (UTC)
I don't think a single one exists, either... I don't get it, they were THE most interesting thing about travelling around in FO3 - it seems like NV actually got worse in that respect. That and all the fucking invisible walls. >=@ Ohdeartheciaisinmyhead 10:56, November 6, 2010 (UTC)
yeah it's a big fail, i want to see what mr josh has to say about this slight? mrmuad
Reason for this Page[edit source]
I appreciate the basis of this page before New Vegas hit but at this point it seems like something that should be deleted. Rationale, there are no random encounters in New Vegas only scripted encounters. Of the encounters detailed on this page:
1. Legion/NCR Hit Squads: These occure based on faction standing, and possible region of the map. But they are routine and I believe timed to occur continually. I'm not positive but both seem to only happen when travelling, either physically or fast travelling to a location that is contested or in the control of that faction. Namely the Rangers won't ambush you in cottonwood cove for example, and similarly the legion don't ambush you in NCR camps. As per my observations I have yet to see either faction ambush in any of the load screen enclosed city areas, the strip, freeside, or westside. Similarly I have seen ambushes legion ambushes in a few unexpected places, namely Sloan and the 188 Overpass.
2. Malcom Holmes is always triggered shortly after acquiring a sunset star bottlecap, I don't have the patience to avoid them through most the game to test if there is a limit to where/when he will show up. Either way this is scripted.
3. The Jacklyn/Thomas event always occurs near Nipton as far as im aware.
Anyhow tldr: there are no random events, just scripted events.--220.127.116.11 18:06, December 1, 2010 (UTC)
4. The Nightkin 'Con-Artist' will always de-cloak when within range at the ranch and requires no special preconditions. 18.104.22.168 02:50, February 8, 2011 (UTC)
- I've gotta agree with the anon above me. This page is just scripted stuff. The thing on this page that irks me the most is the "Silver Rush" encounter. It's scripted, and while all of these are, this annoys me the most, for whatever reason. Either way, this page really doesn't need to exist.--With care and happiness, Supermutantslayer450' YOU. LOSE. 00:41, February 19, 2011 (UTC)
Re-Title of Page or Move Content?[edit source]
Perhaps the page should be retitled as Scripted Random Encounters, and move location specific content to the perspective page? This page is full of muddy facts and needs tightening up or deletion. Most if not all the encounters can be attached without loss to related quests, locations, or factions. 22.214.171.124 03:00, February 8, 2011 (UTC)
Angry MP[edit source]
Suddenly while i was in michael angelos shop an angry MP showed up saying: well well, look who we've got here. and outside the strip to! Nobody fuck with NCR and lives! then he attacked me. i'm curious why, because i have accepted as rep with NCR, and he said outside the strip while i was in michael angelos shop in the strip. oh and btw i didnt get negative karma or rep for killing him. or i didnt kill him. ED-E did. PLEASE TELL MY WHY.
Nov 13, 2012 EDIT - The Angry MP event happened inside the NCR Embassy, turning all of NCR against this Courier. I re-loaded my game and put NCR armor on, saving me from the random ttack.
I had the same thing after my annual killing spree, I killed all but one nrc mp on the strip. the one I didn't kill, I wounded. later whilst wandering around he came at me, so I reckon that's why The lone wanderer's bad-ass grandma 23:45, October 11, 2011 (UTC)
Missing Info[edit source]
Can somebody put a <Missing Data> tag on this? Ive seen tons of encounters, none of which are one here. Drunk rangers in the Ultra-Luxe foutoin, supermutant and a nightkin versus deathclaws ( they give you 1000 caps fpr help, and kill each other after they run off) and my favorite... finding a prospecter run into the Nellis firing range.