Jericho says Moriarty's key opens a locked container near Moriarty's bed where he stores each night's earnings. There is a Hard-locked cabinet at the foot of Moriarty's bed, but his key does not open it. Is this a bug, or is there a safe somewhere and I'm just missing it? Servius 03:40, 21 January 2009 (UTC)
Does anyone know how Moriarty's father made it all the way from Ireland to the United States also noticed on the Alister Tenpenny page it say he made it from England to the U.S as wellJhonteay 19:26, 2 March 2009 (UTC)
- You used an oil tanker in Fallout 2, so I suppose you could use a boat to go from England to the US too. Who knows, maybe there is still some small scale sea traffic? - Redmess 23:07, November 6, 2009 (UTC)
- I guess it's because Fallout 3 was supposed to be a short time after the Apocalypse. That was changed, so that the whole world stopped making sense. (200 years old stuff still edible? Sure...) 18.104.22.168 03:05, July 30, 2010 (UTC)
Haven't any ye fine folks heard the tale of St.Brenden? Made A voyage from The Emerald isle to the USA in the 6th century
Behind the scenes
Colin Moriarty is also a writer for the gaming news site, IGN.com and in one of his own Podcasts (Three Red Lights Ep. 44a) he says the character in Fallout 3 is named after him due to his status in the gaming community. He is a writer of many gaming FAQs for the website. He has said that writing the FAQ for Fallout 3 will be very difficult for him. For more information on IGN's Colin Moriarty, see http://faqs.ign.com/articles/378/378384p1.html. Moriarty being the town crime boss may also reference the famous "crime boss" enemy of Sherlock Holmes, professor Moriarty, who was Scottish. or indeed the Goon show's Moriarty, who speaks with a false (French?) accent and is obsessed with money, turning up with a 'Whoosh!' sound when money is mentioned.
I always thought that moriarty was a refrence to sherlock holmes especially with his behind the scenes operations he has goingOutcast115 17:11, January 26, 2010 (UTC)
Moriarty may also be a reference to famous saloon owner (and crime boss) Al Swearengen of Deadwood. In the Wild West TV series Deadwood, Swearengen is pictured as unofficial town mayor, ruling the town through criminal actions and being in constant antagonism to the town's sheriff, but also showing some "heart" at times. Swearengen owns several prostitutes for his saloon, of which the most popular is Trixie, who may be a role model for Nova; he also "owns" a somehow dumb barkeeper who may have been an inspiration for Gob.
Charon is Moriarty. Edit
At the end of the game at the credits, it says Moriarty and Charon are played by the same person. Listening to both voices they dont really sound together. How is it possible.
lol well Charon's a ghoul and you know that all ghouls have this little voice filtering effect that makes them have a cackling, coarse voice. u'll have to discern the alteration before u can actually hear the similarity. of course, i don't know if ther's a similarity either, but if ther is then you'd have to hear past the voice effect to notice it 22.214.171.124 01:22, 11 August 2009 (UTC)
- A good voice actor can speak with a wide range of voices. Ausir(talk) 01:21, 11 August 2009 (UTC)
- On top of that, sound designers use modulators that can change voices pretty dramatically. - Redmess 23:09, November 6, 2009 (UTC)
I don't think they did that here though. This same voice actor also voices Jaime from Dunwich Building, and in one of his recordings you can clearly hear the transition from the "human" voice to the "ghoul" one, and it doesn't sound modulated one bit. He also voices Wernher from The Pitt, who has a somewhat closer voice to that of a ghoul, and he in fact sometimes sound very much like one. Mike Rosson's just talentend enough at changing his voice. 126.96.36.199 16:55, March 19, 2010 (UTC)
My game seems bugged in that it's been at least a game month and nobody can accept that Colin is dead. I know Gob will continue to speak of him as though he is alive but none of the other things that were supposed to happen ever did. Gob never took over the saloon. Nova still prostitutes etc.
Am I the only one here who finds Moriarty's accent more than a little unconvincing? Genevaman 12:20, May 12, 2010 (UTC)
- Well, Bethesda and accents. Just look at Stanislaus Braun. Nearly made me cry. Moriarty even writes in his accent. That's just... funny, in a sad way. 188.8.131.52 03:09, July 30, 2010 (UTC)
- I'm Irish. People do NOT sound like that. We're not sing-songy leprachauns. Though we are drunks. Make no mistake Vault-BA 18:49, August 4, 2010 (UTC)
I actually find that accent offensive I'm Irish born and bred and we don't talk like that in fact first time I heard him I thought he was Scottish
- Maybe he's an Ulster Scot? --184.108.40.206 09:09, May 16, 2015 (UTC)
Moriarty is stuck in his original spot inside the bar. Edit
Its been a couple months game time and he still hasnt moved, he turns around and talks to that girl the hooker when she is leaned up next to the toilet, he hasnt moved an inch.
That's the same case for me, I'm trying to kill him too.
- I've actually encountered this twice in two different playthroughs now (PC, GotY Edition, Unofficial F3 Patch), and I'm probably going to add it as a bug as I don't think it directly correlates to the unofficial patch - can't seem to find a fix for it either, though. So, during the quest The Power of the Atom, if you find out Burke's plan without him leaving Moriarty's Saloon and you alert Lucas Simms, Moriarty will then be scripted to stand at the end of his bar in clear view of what's about to go down. If you let the action unfold, everything will continue as planned, including Burke leaving forthwith and Moriarty going back to whatever he was doing. If instead you intervene on Simms behalf, almost everything will continue as planned, including Simms thanking you in a follow-up conversation, but Moriarty's script will still be in effect ...seemingly forever. So he will continue to talk and respond accordingly, but he'll never move from that spot, and thus no longer have a 'routine'. I'd appreciate some second opinions on this theory, before I add it... Dsurian 07:31, December 17, 2015 (UTC)
interesting pickpocket Edit
xbox 360: I pick pocketed Moriarty in the saloon with 100 stealth, lvl 30, stealthboy on, and find an Experimental MIRV in his pocket?? But I have my own? Strange.
- He has an Experimental MIRV? I'll have to look into this myself on my PC...
Take it, it's good to be prepared!Blahmarrow 23:48, September 8, 2010 (UTC)
Wrong birthdate Edit
It says on the article that Moriarty was born in 2277 which is obviously incorrect as he would be a baby. Is it posible for someone with the G.E.C.K. to find his age if the G.E.C.K. has that information.Dark Apocalypse. It's coming! 19:26, July 26, 2010 (UTC)
The birthdate is listed as 2227
Sherlock Holmes reference Edit
Is it possible that Moriarty is reference to Professor Moriarty, Sherlock Holmes' arch-enemy. They are both crime bosses, both have the last name of Moriarty and both have an arch-enemy ( Colin's being Andy Stahl.) I know it's a long shot but it could be a reference.
Sorry I forgot my signature
Dark Apocalypse. It's coming! 18:16, July 27, 2010 (UTC)
Sorry didn't read the page thoroughly looks like someone else already found the reference. Dark Apocalypse. It's coming! 18:18, July 27, 2010 (UTC)
- No, it's Sheriff Simms, the only Holmes in the game is in Rivet City. Mictlantecuhtli 01:35, September 2, 2010 (UTC)
I thought that at first too, but Professor Moriarty is a criminal mastermind, while Colin Moriarty is a greedy asshole with a bad Irish accent. Omny87 23:15, November 12, 2010 (UTC)
I dunno if this is a bug or not, but I chopped Moriarty up with the Shishkebab and his hair came off revealing a perfectly bald head. Can anyone else try this? 220.127.116.11
I've refrained from killing this "good guy" because of the karma hit and the fact that the entire town goes hostile if you do (even by proxy and undetected, such as via the Shady Sands Shuffle or placing mines around his terminal). But yesterday I discovered a way of ridding the world of Moriarty without the bad consequences. You need the Mister Sandman perk - find him when he's asleep upstairs in the inn and murder him in his sleep. Hopefully it will be useful to someone.
18.104.22.168 17:02, January 26, 2011 (UTC)
Random question Edit
When talking to Moriarty he'll say something about someone escaping Vault 101 5 years prior to the game. Is any information on this ever expanded upon? Great Mara 17:16, April 2, 2011 (UTC)
- I assumed it to be the same person who owned the armoured Vault 101 jumpsuit in Moira's store, and I believe Moira mentions them dying. 21:53, October 30, 2011 (UTC)
Urinates in the stillEdit
I was under the impression that Andy Stahl's remark about Moriarty "pissing in his still" was not meant to be taken factually, rather as slander towards Colin and the saloon. Besides, how would Andy know this, and why wouldn't he have told everyone by now? 21:53, October 30, 2011 (UTC)