|Minutemen radiant quest: Taking Point|
|Clear the infested settlement of hostiles.|
|Reward: A new settlement location|
|Build, power, and activate a recruitment radio beacon.|
|Reward: ~100 caps|
|Report your success to Preston Garvey.|
|Reward: 100+ XP|
After joining the Minutemen, this quest can be periodically obtained when talking to Preston Garvey. Preston informs the Sole Survivor of a promising site for a new settlement. He asks them to clear the settlement of enemies before building a recruitment radio beacon to attract new settlers.
To proceed with the quest the Sole Survivor must travel to the soon-to-be settlement and clear it of hostiles. Once the settlement is cleared the workshop will be unlocked (alongside a ~100 cap reward), allowing the Sole Survivor to take ownership of it.
Next, the Sole Survivor will need to build a recruitment radio beacon (found in the workshop menu under Power > Misc), as well as a generator to power it. Activating the beacon will complete the objective and begin attracting settlers to the new settlement. With the beacon powered up, the Sole Survivor can return to Preston to complete the quest.
Possible settlements to clear
- Coastal cottage : Kill the mirelurks
- Croup Manor : Kill the feral ghouls
- Hangman's Alley : Kill the raiders
- Jamaica Plain : Kill the feral ghouls
- Kingsport Lighthouse : Kill the Children of Atom and the Glowing one atop the lighthouse
- Murkwater construction site : Kill the mirelurk queen
- Outpost Zimonja : Kill the raiders
- Starlight Drive In : Kill the mole rats
- Sunshine Tidings co-op: Kill the feral ghouls
- Taffington boathouse : Kill the bloodbugs
- All the potential settlements can be cleared out by hand without obtaining this quest first, unlocking the settlement without the cap and experience rewards (or the conversations with Preston).
- This quest will not be given if all of the potential locations have been cleared and unlocked already; Preston will give a different random quest instead.
- The beacon does not need to remain powered while turning the quest in to Preston, simply powering it up for a split second is enough to advance the quest if the Sole Survivor does not wish to populate the settlement.
Not all hostiles may spawn at the indicated location, making it impossible to complete the quest.[verified]
- Returning to the quest at a later moment may resolve this.
- setstage MinRecruit06 200 may be used to skip to the next objective (building the Recruitment Radio Beacon). The console command