Background[edit | edit source]
Sydney is an independent mercenary who specializes in obtaining relics. She prefers going for the most dangerous scores (like the Declaration of Independence) and takes risks. She is beautiful, but finds men approaching her irritating. She is a loner. She prefers not speaking about her dark past. When she was very young, her mother was raped and killed by raiders. She spent years perfecting her combat skills and never welshes on a deal.
Sydney was orphaned when her father was killed after a deal gone bad at the Statesman Hotel. She had to wander the wasteland alone, but she was able to handle herself as her father had taught her how to handle and maintain and modify firearms at an early age. Sydney eventually became a relic hunter when she stumbled upon a deceased relic-hunter and his information to the Constitution of the United States. After she recovered it, she sold it to Abraham Washington. Afterward she took the job to acquire the Declaration of Independence.
Eventually she becomes a weapons dealer out of Underworld.
Interactions with the player character[edit | edit source]
Interactions overview[edit | edit source]
|This character is a temporary companion.|
|This character is a merchant.||Sells:
|This character starts quests.|
|This character is involved in quests.|
*If she finishes the quest alive and makes it to Underworld.
Quests[edit | edit source]
- Stealing Independence: Sydney is encountered in the Rotunda of the National Archives. She can become a temporary companion until the quest is completed.
Effects of player's actions[edit | edit source]
- Bragging Rights: If the Lone Wanderer refuses to team up with Sydney or double-crosses her in the National Archives, she and her friend Emaline will attack in a random encounter. Killing them will result in bad Karma.
- A note from Little Moonbeam's father is a note Sydney's father left her when he was dying in the Statesman Hotel. If given it to her after she tells her story, she will give the Lone Wanderer her 10mm "Ultra" SMG. (This process can be repeated as many times as one likes. Simply reselecting the conversation option about Sydney's father gives the player character access to an infinite supply of Sydney's 10mm "Ultra" SMGs.)
- This exploit has since been fixed as of patch 1.7.
- If Sydney remains alive at the end of the quest, she will travel from Rivet City to the Ninth Circle in Underworld and set up shop as a vendor, stating that she likes to hang out at Underworld because the ghouls do not constantly hit on her.
Inventory[edit | edit source]
Notes[edit | edit source]
- If the player character enters combat with the residents of Underworld while Sydney is a vendor there, she will fight on their side, unless they intentionally (or accidentally) attack her.
- She can be very helpful in exploring the ruins of D.C. at lower levels, especially when used in conjunction with other companions such as Dogmeat and Charon due to their lack of a Karma requirement.
- It is possible to pickpocket and reverse-pickpocket Sydney for items, after the super mutant attack, but before speaking to her. Once recruiting her as a companion, pickpocketing or reverse-pickpocketing her is not possible until Stealing Independence is concluded with Sydney surviving. Also, if one decides to give her a different weapon other than Sydney's 10mm "Ultra" SMG, she will use up any ammunition given to her.
Notable quotes[edit | edit source]
- "Why don't you take a holodisc picture? It'll last longer."
- "Keep your eyes on the mission, and off my ass please."
- "Eyes up here please."
- "After he loaded me up with caps, I got piss drunk, got laid and was happy for the first time in a while. I haven't looked back since."
- "Nice. I'm dying and you're making jokes."
- "Come on, less gawking and more walking."
Appearances[edit | edit source]
Sydney appears only in Fallout 3.
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
|The following is based on unverified behind the scenes information and is speculative and may not be accurate.|
- Sydney is a reference to the character Sydney Fox from the TV show Relic Hunter.
- She is called "my little moonbeam" by her father. However, in the Spanish edition, it became "Mi rayito de sol," which correctly translates, from Spanish to "My little sunbeam." The reason for the change is unclear, as it could just as easily have been: "Mi rayito de luna: My little moonbeam."
|End of information based on unverified behind the scenes information.|
Bugs[edit | edit source]
- PC Playstation 3 Xbox 360 Xbox One There is an exploit that makes it possible to receive an unlimited supply of Sydney's 10mm "Ultra" SMG in perfect condition and 10mm ammunition. [verified]
- PC Playstation 3 Xbox 360 You can't pickpocket Sydney after recruiting her. She cannot be pickpocketed during the quest nor after completing it. You just get the "talk" option when crouching. [verified]
- Xbox 360 When she's in the bar in Underworld she can sometimes die and will be slumped over on the floor. It is unknown what causes this. [verified]
- PC Sydney will sometimes not appear in Underworld. [verified]
- PC In case Sydney does not appear in Underworld, she might be found in the entrance of Anacostia Crossing station from Rivet City's side. If the tunnel has not been cleared, she could get killed and never reach Underworld. [verified]
Gallery[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Fallout 3 Official Game Guide Game of the Year Edition p.99: "Sydney
Sydney is an independent mercenary who specializes in obtaining relics. She prefers going for the most dangerous scores (like the Declaration of Independence) and takes risks. She is beautiful, but finds men approaching her irritating. She is a loner. She prefers not speaking about her dark past. When she was very young, her mother was raped and killed by Raiders. She spent years perfecting her combat skills and never welshes on a deal."
(Fallout 3 Official Game Guide Game of the Year Edition Wasteland Census)
- Fallout 3 Official Game Guide pp. 230, 430