Sydney is a freelance mercenary who specializes in hunting pre-War treasures and relics. She enjoys going for high profile and dangerous jobs, and she takes calculated risks in her work. She is an attractive woman, which leads to no shortage of masculine advances, though she finds this attention irritating. Generally, she is a lone wolf, though she does have a friend in the form of Emaline. When she does work with others, she does so for pragmatic purposes and likes to keep conversation focused on the task at hand, preferring to avoid personal topics, such as her tragic past. When she was a small child, her mother was abused and killed by raiders. For most of her formative years, she lived alone with her father. At the age of 14, she was forced to live entirely by herself as her father mysteriously disappeared. Sydney believes he abandoned her, though in reality, he died after a deal gone bad at the Statesman Hotel. Throughout her life, she learned to perfect her combat skills and never breaks a deal.[Non-canon 1][Non-canon 2]
Since her father's death, she had to wander the wasteland alone, but she was able to handle herself as her father had taught her how to handle and maintain and modify firearms at an early age. Sydney eventually became a relic hunter when she stumbled upon a deceased relic-hunter and his information to the Constitution of the United States. After she recovered it, she sold it to Abraham Washington in 2256. Afterward she took another job from Abraham Washington, this time to acquire the Declaration of Independence. By 2277, she is holed up in the rotunda of the National Archives, where her suicidal quest for the Declaration of Independence has led her.
After safely selling the Declaration of Independence to Abraham Washington, she becomes a weapons dealer out of Underworld.
Interactions with the player character
|This character is a temporary companion.|
|This character starts quests.|
|This character is involved in quests.|
|This character is a merchant.||Sells: weapons, ammunition*|
*If she finishes the quest alive and makes it to Underworld.
- Stealing Independence: Sydney is encountered in the Rotunda of the National Archives. She can become a temporary companion until the quest is completed.
Effects of player's actions
- Bragging Rights: If the Lone Wanderer refuses to team up with Sydney or double-crosses her in the National Archives, she and her friend Emaline will attack in a random encounter. Killing them will result in bad Karma.
- A note from Little Moonbeam's father is a note Sydney's father left her when he was dying in the Statesman Hotel. If given it to her after she tells her story, she will give the Lone Wanderer her 10mm "Ultra" SMG. (This process can be repeated as many times as one likes. Simply reselecting the conversation option about Sydney's father gives the player character access to an infinite supply of Sydney's 10mm "Ultra" SMGs.)
- If Sydney remains alive at the end of the quest, she will travel from Rivet City to the Ninth Circle in Underworld and set up shop as a vendor, stating that she likes to hang out at Underworld because the ghouls do not constantly hit on her.
- If the player character enters combat with the residents of Underworld while Sydney is a vendor there, she will fight on their side, unless they intentionally (or accidentally) attack her.
- She can be very helpful in exploring the ruins of D.C. at lower levels, especially when used in conjunction with other companions such as Dogmeat and Charon due to their lack of a Karma requirement.
- It is possible to pickpocket and reverse-pickpocket Sydney for items, after the super mutant attack, but before speaking to her. Once recruiting her as a companion, pickpocketing or reverse-pickpocketing her is not possible until Stealing Independence is concluded with Sydney surviving. Also, if one decides to give her a different weapon other than Sydney's 10mm "Ultra" SMG, she will use up any ammunition given to her.
- "Why don't you take a holodisc picture? It'll last longer."
- "Keep your eyes on the mission, and off my ass please."
- "Eyes up here please."
- "After he loaded me up with caps, I got piss drunk, got laid and was happy for the first time in a while. I haven't looked back since."
- "Nice. I'm dying and you're making jokes."
- "Come on, less gawking and more walking."
Sydney appears only in Fallout 3.
Behind the scenes
She is called "my little moonbeam" by her father. However, in the Spanish edition, it became "Mi rayito de sol," which correctly translates, from Spanish to "My little sunbeam." The reason for the change is unclear.
- There is an exploit that makes it possible to receive an unlimited supply of Sydney's 10mm "Ultra" SMG in perfect condition and 10mm ammunition. [verified]
- You can't pickpocket Sydney after recruiting her. She cannot be pickpocketed during the quest nor after completing it. You just get the "talk" option when crouching. [verified]
- When she's in the bar in Underworld she can sometimes die and will be slumped over on the floor. It is unknown what causes this. [verified]
- Sydney will sometimes not appear in Underworld. [verified]
- In case Sydney does not appear in Underworld, she might be found in the entrance of Anacostia Crossing station from Rivet City's side. If the tunnel has not been cleared, she could get killed and never reach Underworld. [verified]
- The Lone Wanderer: "So, whatever happened to your father?"
Sydney: "I thought he was the best. My mom was long gone, so all we had was each other. He used to call me his "little moonbeam." How sappy is that? But when I was 14, he vanished and left me all alone. Never even said goodbye. I cried for a week. Do I have to tell you what it's like for a young woman alone in the Wasteland at that age? I don't know where he went, and I don't care. I just hope he got what he deserved, the son-of-a-bitch!"
- A note from Little Moonbeam's father
- The Lone Wanderer: "Nice gun. I've never seen one like that."
Sydney: "Yeah, it is nice. I don't even sleep without it under my pillow. My father made gun ammunition for a living. Taught me everything about how firearms work. So, I've spent my downtime tinkering with guns like my 10mm Ultra SMG here. It's like a hobby I guess."
- Rivet City terminal entries; Constitution of the U.S.A.
- The Lone Wanderer: "How did you get into the relic hunting business?"
Sydney: "I dunno. I grew up pretty much like every other girl in this crappy world. Spent most of my life just trying to keep away from Slavers. One day out in the Wastes, I stumbled across some poor bastard's body. On the body I found info leading to some famous document. I had heard that Abraham Washington was looking for these scraps of paper, so I went after the thing. Turned out to be the Constitution. After he loaded me up with caps, I got piss drunk, got laid and was happy for the first time in a while. I haven't looked back since."
- Fallout 3 Official Game Guide Game of the Year Edition p.99: "Sydney
Sydney is an independent mercenary who specializes in obtaining relics. She prefers going for the most dangerous scores (like the Declaration of Independence) and takes risks. She is beautiful, but finds men approaching her irritating. She is a loner. She prefers not speaking about her dark past. When she was very young, her mother was raped and killed by Raiders. She spent years perfecting her combat skills and never welshes on a deal."
(Fallout 3 Official Game Guide Game of the Year Edition Wasteland Census)
- Fallout 3 Official Game Guide pp. 230, 430