Prior to his transformation, Edgar Swann was imprisoned after being caught stealing cigarettes as detailed in Experiment log J-32. He agreed to "probation" and house arrest for 30 days in lieu of normal sentencing, where he was unknowingly exposed to an experimental version of the Forced Evolutionary Virus by Institute scientists. During this time, Swann was instructed to keep a journal of his time in the lab which the Sole Survivor can recover from Swan's cabin at Boston Common.
Within a week, he began to mutate; within two, he possessed not only massively increased strength but also significantly increased intelligence. By the third week however, he began to have seizures and his intelligence decreased and he became fully aware of what was happening to him. By the time the Sole Survivor encounters Swan, Swan has completely degenerated into a psychopathic monster.
Swan resembles a super mutant behemoth, being noticeably larger than "common" super mutants; though perhaps not quite as large as regular super mutant behemoths. He wields an anchor as a hammer, a boat mounted on his left arm which he can use as both a shield and general bashing weapon and wears parts of a plastic swan boat as armor.
Swan has a schedule which is uncommon for scripted characters. Around 1:00 AM to estimated 5:30 AM he can actually be found roaming around the edge of the pond. The rest of the day he spends submerged in the water.
Interactions with the player characterEdit
Effects of player's actionsEdit
Swan is a boss creature found at Swan's Pond, an outdoor location in the middle of the city. In the middle of the pond is a pile of debris made up of a white swan, a tire and a branch; this pile occasionally shifts in place. Should the Sole Survivor or their companion approach the mass, it will reveal itself with a roar, emerge from the water and start attacking. Damaging the pile may also cause Swan to emerge.
- Swan's combat consists of four attacks: A devastating slam on the ground with his anchor, which deals massive damage and knocks the player character down, a charge attack where he slams the player character with his "boat shield," a ground stomp that deals tons of AoE damage and, like other super mutant behemoths, he's able to throw rocks from a distance, but this deals minor damage, depending on level.
- Unlike normal behemoths, Swan is wearing makeshift armor and thus has good Damage Resistance and Energy Resistance. Like all super mutants he is also immune to radiation damage, as well as having 100 resistance against bleeding damage.
- Swan has a relatively short range he will travel before stopping. If the player character is beyond this range, Swan will only be able to fight the player character by throwing his rocks. If the player character travels beyond Swan's rock throw range, he will return to his pond and submerge.
- Swan can be stunned by hitting him with a powerful melee weapon such as the super sledge.
- Crippling one of Swan's legs will render him unable to attack or defend.
- When fighting raiders outside Combat Zone, they will run away if they are critically wounded and yell "I'll let the Swan deal with you," or "Stay back! Let Swan deal with him/her."
- If he exits combat and reverts to a neutral state while in the water, he regenerates all of his health.
- He uses a powerful melee weapon known as the Anchor (baseid 00144a6c).
- The roar he lets out when emerging from the pond is actually a heavily distorted yell, he is yelling "SWAN!"
- Noted beside his concept art in The Art of Fallout 4, his face paint is described as a "Juggalo Mutant."
- Swan can respawn, however it is after a long time. It usually takes about 50 in-game days.
- Swan is the only creature in the game that drops a fixed, non-unique legendary item.
Swan appears only in Fallout 4.
Behind the scenesEdit
|The following is based on unverified behind the scenes information and has not been confirmed by canon sources.|
His backstory seems to be inspired by the book Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes, sharing many similarities with the main character Charlie Gordon.
|End of information based on unverified behind the scenes information.|