Strong is a super mutant and a possible companion in the Commonwealth in 2287. He can be found locked up in a cell at the top of Trinity Tower along with his teacher, Rex Goodman, where the two have been imprisoned by other super mutants.
An average looking super mutant, Strong seeks to find the "milk of human kindness." This is a line from the play Macbeth (Act 1: Scene 5) cited to him by Rex Goodman while trying to teach the super mutants about William Shakespeare's plays. Strong seems to have taken this metaphor a bit more literally and believes that if he can find the milk and drink it, it will give super mutants the strength that makes humans successful.
At the time, Strong's super mutant brothers disliked his appeal to Rex's citation of the play, leading him to his incarceration with the latter. Rex states that they were planning to toss him off the Tower, even taking bets on how many times he would bounce.
Interactions with the player character
|This character is essential. Essential characters cannot be killed.|
|This character is a temporary companion.|
|This character is a permanent companion. They grant the Berserk perk.|
|This character is involved in quests.|
Effects of player's actions
- The Sole Survivor can free Strong from his cell during Curtain Call. After completion of the quest, he becomes available as a companion.
- Eventually as his approval of the Sole Survivor increases, Strong will admit that he has learned to respect the Sole Survivor.
- Finally, once he idolizes the Sole Survivor, he will say that he has made the decision to make the Sole Survivor his leader. This will grant his Berserk perk, which grants +20% Melee Damage if Hit Points are below 25% of maximum.
- Strong cannot be romanced.
Range of interests
- He is limited to wearing super mutant armor, which can be found in super mutant strongholds throughout the Commonwealth.
- Strong's health is about 50-60 hit points higher than most other companions. Only Curie as a Ms. Nanny has higher health, at least until around level 50. Like most companions, he levels up with the Sole Survivor. His higher than normal health is balanced out by being limited to only equipping super mutant armor, which offers only moderate protection compared to higher-tier human armors, let alone power armor. The best available combination of super mutant armor for Strong provides slightly less protection than a full suit of unmodified basic metal armor.
- Strong has the second best default carrying capacity at 200 pounds. This cannot be increased with armor mods since he is unable to wear normal armors.
- Strong never goes into sneak mode.
- If Strong is dismissed without designating a settlement, he will return to the lobby level of Trinity Tower.
- Strong prefers to use melee weapons, like the super sledge, or rifles. He can also use heavy weapons, but will not equip handguns.
- When left in a settlement, Strong will often spend his time at chemistry stations.
- Unlike super mutant companions from previous games like Marcus, Fawkes or God, Strong is far from civilized. He often criticizes humans, speaks of his desire for super mutant superiority, general carnage and will even mention that he wants "someone to eat" when hungry. He takes pride in his condition and how his super mutant brothers are seen by the people of the Commonwealth as powerful and tough fighters. This is best illustrated when the Sole Survivor chooses to help Virgil find a cure during Virgil's Cure, to which Strong reacts with great disappointment. The only thing that separates him from his mutant brethren is the realization that, if he wants super mutants to achieve the same success as humans, he may have to work with them to learn their secrets.
- Strong will give the Sole Survivor various meats much akin to the sweets that Piper gives.
- In the quest Curtain Call, upon trying to interact with Strong before completing the objective he has set, he replies "Go away, bleeder!" This is exactly what Fawkes in Fallout 3 would say upon reaching him before the quest to retrieve the G.E.C.K. is initiated.
- Strong believes that, when the time comes, super mutants will kill everything on Earth.
- If Strong follows the Sole Survivor to give Brian Virgil the antidote, he will join in on the conversation by expressing panic at the thought of being "cured" and no longer being a super mutant. The Sole Survivor must assure him that he will not be forcibly cured.
- Due to the encompassing range of his dislikes, Strong can be a difficult companion to garner admiration from as most of the usual actions are sometimes hard to avoid when exploring ruins or negotiating with NPCs. Since he likes kills (and as all companions, time spent with the Sole Survivor), he is a good companion for a mapping trip while staying on the outside of places and avoiding picking too many locks.
- A good way to boost Strong's affinity is to purchase guard dogs from the friendly Super Mutant Erickson in Far Harbor. When the Sole Survivor first meets Erickson, Strong dislikes the meeting, if present. However, the dog or wolf the Sole Survivor purchases from Erickson in the presence of Strong for 250 caps will be Liked by Strong. If the Sole Survivor purchases the Mutant Hound, Strong will Love that. He does not seem to Like or Love buying subsequent dogs, wolves or mutant hounds from Erickson, though.
- An easy way to gain Strong's admiration is to pick the Cannibal perk. When performing quests that involve clearing out large numbers of raiders from a location, eat the various corpses. Saving and loading between feedings will allow the Sole Survivor to bypass the refractory period on gaining approval.
- Defeating powerful enemies seems to gain a lot of respect from Strong.
- The quest Duty or Dishonor has an opportunity to gain four likes in a row for Strong during the final encounter with Clarke.
- Despite saying that someday all humans will be destroyed, Strong likes it when the Sole Survivor helps settlers. This is one of the most effective ways to get his approval as it is the only act of charity that he tolerates. He also likes choosing the "cocky" dialogue choice.
- Unlike most companions, he will not say anything when taken to the corpse of the Sole Survivor's spouse in Vault 111.
- Strangely, Strong will occasionally voice his approval of the Brotherhood of Steel after joining, saying that the "metal men" are "worthy" even though he dislikes the Sole Survivor entering power armor and will lose a large amount of approval if he witnesses the Sole Survivor joining them.
- During Maxson's speech on the Prydwen, Strong will refuse to enter the room and remain outside, not entering until it is over.
- Strong will voice approval if the Sole Survivor sides with the Institute and destroys the Brotherhood, stating that the super mutants can easily beat the Institute.
- Strong seems to like the very first suit of T-45 power armor found in Concord at the Museum of Freedom, but disapproves of all others, saying "human look like robot."
- Strong can sometimes be seen interacting with the large cooking pots present in some super mutant camps (unusable to the player character), stirring the pot and tasting its contents.
- Although Strong refuses to actually enter a pillory if assigned to one, the player character will still get the trophy/achievement Time Out for the act of assigning him to it.
- After being freed, Strong's location is often just north of Trinity Tower, on Berkeley St.
- Compared to all other companions, with a value of 24, Strong has the highest strength.
- Strong pronounces names that start with "Mac" as "Mack." For example, he calls Robert MacCready "Mack Ree Dea" and Macbeth as "Mack Beth."
- "Milk is secret to humans. Mack Beth say milk make humans strong. Stronger than super mutants! Strong find milk. Drink milk. Make super mutants stronger than humans."
- "Come, Deathclaw. Strong will teach you how to die!"
- "So much walking. Want to do more fighting!"
- "Humans all look funny."
- "Strong hope we find milk of human kindness soon."
- "Tinker tinker tinker. Strong bored!"
- "So many humans. Not so many super mutants."
- "Someday, super mutants kill everything."
- "Strong not understand why humans fight other humans? For milk of human kindness maybe."
- "Humans odd. Try to be bird. Strong only want to be Strong." – When near The Prydwen
- "How machine fly? Is too heavy." – When near The Prydwen
- "Human flying machines. Strong not like." – When near The Prydwen
- "Ha! Strong knew building couldn't fly forever. Had to fall." – After destroying the Prydwen
- "Fighting is for killing, not watching." – When near Combat Zone
- "Not shell. Shoot face." – When fighting mirelurks
- "Old place. Dust and dirt."
- "Leave human junk. Is useless." – After looting junk item
- "Why always take human junk? Not need!" – After looting junk item
- "Strong hates Steel Brotherhood." – When near Brotherhood of Steel
- "Strong not care about stupid human stuff. Just want milk of human kindness!" – At The Castle
- " Little girl pretty. Just like on glass box." – When either near or talking to Nat.
- "Strange human hole. All metal." – Upon entering a Vault
- "Strong learn new word. Strong learn 'respect."
- "Human fight good. Human help Strong. Super mutants are brothers. Brothers share all. Not own things like humans. Humans share like brothers. Super mutants fight. Kill not talk. Human kill not talk. Human would be good super mutant." – Upon earning Strong's respect
- "Old human junk. Worst kind of human junk." – Picking up pre-War money
- "Goodbye Mack Ree Dee." – When dismissing MacCready to travel with Strong
- "Stop fiddling. Smash!" – When crafting items or lock picking.
- "You fight like Behemoth!"
- "Don't fix old thing. Get new one." – When repairing power armor.
- "Last thing you kill make Strong proud."
- "Dead not need things. We take!" – Describing looting
- "Victor's spoils." – When looting from killed enemies
- "These machines not work. Strong not break. Broken when Strong got here."
- "Snack time." – When killing the last enemy.
- "Metal man make Strong mad!" – When dismissing Paladin Danse to travel with Strong
- "Strong like green." – When Strong "dislikes" the Sole Survivor for assuring Abbot that he isn't going to touch the wall.
- "Human look like robot." – After entering power armor.
- "Of course. Strong is strong."
- "Agh… human… stronger." – Upon death.
- "Hahahahaha! Yes...Strong Challenge you, Brother!" – Encountering a Behemoth
- "Like should help like. Human should help human." – When helping a random Settler
- When switching Strong with:
- Danse: "This human good fighter. Kill many brothers. Someday Strong smash.", to which Danse replies: "That's never going to happen, mutant."
- Cait: "Strong find milk of human kindness on own.", to which Cait replies: "What the hell is he talking about? Nevermind. I don't want to know."
- Hancock: "Ghoul good fighter. Strong approve.", to which Hancock replies: "Guess you mutants do have some sense, don't ya?"
- Deacon: "This puny human instead of Strong? Bah!", to which Deacon replies: "Good things come in small packages. But then you know all about small packages don’t you, Strong?"
- MacCready: "This human good fighter. Almost as good as Strong.", to which MacCready replies: "Thanks, Strong. Coming from someone like you, that's a pretty big compliment."
- Piper: "Bah! This human soft. Weak. Won't live long.", to which Piper replies: "Hey, now, big boy. I know a couple of your brothers that'd say different."
- Codsworth: "Metal man weak. When metal man smashed, come find Strong.", to which Codsworth replies: "Weak! I'll have you know I've fended off bloodbugs when necessary."
- Preston Garvey: "Puny human instead of Strong? Bah. Strong find milk without human.", to which Preston replies: "Don't know how you traveled with one of those."
- Curie: "When metal man is all smashed, come find Strong.", to which Curie replies: "Don't worry Monsieur Strong. I don't rust so easily."
- Nick Valentine: "Puny metal man. He dies soon. Then find Strong. We look for milk again.", to which Nick replies: "Well, then get comfy, big guy, because I ain’t checking out anytime soon."
Strong appears only in Fallout 4.
- When asked about the relationship between Strong and the player, he will interrupt the player. [verified]
Upon sending Strong to a settlement with 0 population, water, and food he will vanish from the game after a couple of days. The only way to fix is to summon him via console command. [verified]
- A possible fix is to build food and water and then wait several days.
- Another possible fix if a bed is not present is to build a bed then save and reload while away from the settlement (this was tested at the Red Rocket truck stop.)
On some occasions, the message showing that Strong likes/dislikes this does not appear even when a certain amount of time for that action has past, thereby making it even more difficult to gain his Berserk perk. [verified]
- This occurs at random times with other companions as well, however the approval is still given just does not show. Using a save or 3 hour wait time glitch will still give affinity as normal. Not common but don't freak out if it does happen. Also applies to negative choices like lockpicking with strong or hacking.
- May become unable to move, and just kneel at the door where one enters a building spewing comments about the smell or whatever. Fast travel can fix this.[verified]
- minigun. He will often stand in place when being attacked, uselessly pointing his minigun at the ground. One thing to note is the Gatling laser has the same effect but will happen less often.[verified]
Strong may be unable to move correctly when wielding a
- Short-term solution: Select Strong and "command" him to attack "X." Basically pointing him into the direction of the attackers while he has a minigun equipped will make him attack everything in that direction without aiming at the ground.[verified]
- If the player character chooses to disapprove of Magnolia’s Music style, Strong will voice that he thinks that the “Sounds of battle” are better “music” to his ears.