A combat drug made from unknown chemicals, it provides the user with a steady aim that makes it impossible to miss in sharpshooting, perfect for snipers lining themselves up for the perfect shot. Due to the potency and untested nature of the drug, however, it is also highly addictive.
The item appears to be a makeshift inhaler crafted from an empty Sunset Sarsaparilla bottle, complete with a tinfoil heating element and a hose mouthpiece.
Steady drastically increases the accuracy of the user's ranged attacks. While the chem is active, idle sway is eliminated. At any viable V.A.T.S. range, base V.A.T.S. hit chances become 95%, or 76%, if the user has the Fast Shot trait (not the case on PC). However, the chance to hit may still be reduced by obstacles, cover (such as trying to hit a partially-obscured limb), or failing to meet minimum weapon skill requirements.
Regardless of any potential mitigating factors, the powerful effect of going from, for example, an 11% chance to hit to 95% chance to hit cannot be overstated. With higher spread weapons, effects are more pronounced at even very short distances.
Like most other chems, using Steady risks the chance of addiction. To offset its arguably very strong effect, it has the highest rate of addiction, at 80% on top of the increased chance of addiction from its usage monitor (UMON).
- Steady can sometimes be bought at Gomorrah from the bartender in the Lower Brimstone
- It can be found all around Vault 3.
- Also possible to buy from Carter in the NCR Correctional Facility.
- Bought from Jack at the Red Rock drug lab in Red Rock Canyon.
- Bought from Blake at the Crimson Caravan.
- Two or three can be stolen from the medical tent at Camp McCarran.
- Sierra Madre vending machines. Can also be bought in bulk at
- Hopeville Missile Base. Two in a refrigerator on stairs to the left of the
- Two on the first story roof of the Hopeville Missile Base, on a ledge.
- The duration of each use of Steady is increased by the Day Tripper and Chemist perks.
- This chem is best combined with the Logan's Loophole trait to eliminate the addiction chance, or by stacking the Old World Gourmet, Chem Resistant (perk), and Brainless perks for a 22% addiction chance.
PC Xbox 360 There seems to be a common bug when using Steady before entering V.A.T.S. with weapons lacking weapon spread which results in a 0% chance to hit your target, regardless of range or line of sight. The bug only affects the alien blaster and Elijah's jury-rigged Tesla cannon.[verified]