The Soviet Union was the end result of the 1917 October Revolution, formally founded in 1922 as a federal union of Soviet republics. Nominally a federation, it was highly centralized in practice, dominated by the Russian Soviet Federative Socialist Republic, so much that the Soviet Union was frequently referred to as Soviet Russia or just Russia.
The Soviet Union rapidly evolved from a backwater to a major power, shedding the legacy of the tsarist empire through rapid industrialization and modernization. It turned into a brutal dictatorship under the autocratic rule of Joseph Stalin, participating in World War II first as an ally of Nazi Germany and then its opponent. Though it lost millions, the Soviet Union was the ultimate victor of the European theater and an indispensable member of the Allied nations, in the victory over the Axis powers.
However, despite military camaraderie and close cooperation as part of the Lend-Lease program, the ideological differences drove a rift between the allies soon after the war ended. Economic, military, and technological competition followed, leading to many disputes between the Soviet Union and the United States. One of the most prominent is the controversy over the first human in space: Despite Sino-Soviet protests and refutations, the United States consistently credited Captain Carl Bell as the first human in space, who successfully completed an orbital flight on May 5, 1961, on board Defiance 7, before dying in the capsule's crash landing.
In the 21st century, the Soviet Union was a shadow of its former self. The USSR's western republics broke away, declaring independence, and China supplanted the Union's position as a superpower, eclipsing its older communist sibling. However, the two communist powers were considered natural allies by the United States and thus a threat: After the outbreak of the Sino-American War, the possibility of a joint nuclear first strike by the USSR and China under orders from Chairman Cheng was considered as a viable option by defense analysts.
By 2077, however, relations improved. As a nominally communist state, the Soviet Union was still considered a potential enemy among the U.S. military, and corporate propaganda vilified the USSR as a land of forced labor camps and source of spies trying to obtain national secrets. Communist propaganda was also commonly broadcast to the United States. However, Soviet citizens could also openly immigrate to the United States. There was a cultural gulf, but Soviet citizens were commonly accepted, especially in organized crime. In fact, the relations were close enough that a Soviet diplomat from the Los Angeles consulate was accepted as a dweller of Vault 13, in the midst of the Sino-American War, and thus survived the war that extinguished most of human civilization, including the Soviet Union.
- Spetnaz, a Russian Special forces unit, is mentioned in the description for the Scorpio submachine gun found in Fallout Tactics. The
- Moscow (mentioned in Fallout 4)
- Red Square (mentioned in Fallout: New Vegas)
- The Kremlin (mentioned in Lonesome Road)
- Chukchi Sea (seen on a map in a Capitol Post article about the liberation of Anchorage)
- Chukotka (seen on a map in a Capitol Post article about the liberation of Anchorage)
- Gulf of Anadyr (seen on a map in a Capitol Post article about the liberation of Anchorage)
- Abandoned oil refineries
- Re-education Colony
- Steppes villages
The Soviet Union is mentioned in Fallout, Fallout 3, Fallout: New Vegas, Fallout 4, Fallout 76 and its content update Wastelanders, and Fallout Tactics. It was also meant to appear in the canceled game Fallout Extreme as an explorable area.
Behind the scenesEdit
- In Wastelanders, a top secret Soviet spy ring was planned for inclusion. The player would find a Soviet Mr Handy and complete Mission: Accessible, a training program that would prepare them for secret operations for "Mother Russia."
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Real-world history, see [of the Soviet Union for details].
- ↑ Museum of Technology: "This is the actual skeleton of Captain Carl Bell who died on May 5, 1961 after his Space Capsule crash landed. Captain Bell is credited as being the first human in space on board the Space Capsule Defiance 7, but this has been constantly refuted by both the Soviet Union and China. Defiance 7's fight lasted for a total of 12 minutes and 7 seconds as it achieved one full revolution around the Earth. Donated by Edwina Bell."
- ↑ For reference, Yuri Gagarin became the first human in space on April 12, 1961, and the Vostok 1 flight was completed with his safe return to Earth.
- ↑ Fort Hagen Command Center map and globes found across the games depict modern, post-1989 country borders and the assets have not been updated for Fallout 76. However, these should be taken with a grain of salt, as they are half-finished, with major bodies of water filled in, as an obvious error.
- ↑ Switchboard terminals; Research Terminal, > 2067 Jun 19: "OFFICIAL RECORD
"P.A.M., run the 'USSR China Attack' scenario."
> Query. What goal does entity Chairman seek in this hypothetical set of facts?
"Conquest. Run program."
> Your answer does not logically follow. An ideal nuclear first strike scenario would still leave 59% of the American nuclear stockpile free for retaliation. Posit. You cannot conquer what is destroyed.
"P.A.M., Chairman Cheng isn't always logical. He won't always make logical decisions. We've been over this."
> Warning. Human variability results in a highly flawed statistical model.
"P.A.M. Run the program."
> Warning. Warning. <Emergency Shutdown>
"Dammit. We've lost her. Power her down. Did we get crash logs on that?""
- ↑ Wastewater treatment plant terminal entries: Devlin - "Answer me this, Specialist Buttinski: if the American people are overrun by Kremlin Joe and his Chicom cronies, what good will clean drinking water be?"
- ↑ HELIOS One terminal entries: "Can I Tell Him?
Ivan Bullykov will get more than lunch money out of your kids. He'll have national secrets! And while they're parading him through Red Square as a national hero, your children will be working in forced labor camps, right next to you and your beautiful young wife".
- ↑ Pioneer Scout camp terminal entries: "=== CODEBREAKER EXAM ===
You're operating your shortwave radio and come across a strange broadcast. After listening for a while, you realize it's commie propaganda! What do you do?
- Sing the Soviet national anthem"
- ↑ Pioneer Scout camp terminal entries: "=== RAIL ENTHUSIAST EXAM ===
Amazingly, we in America aren't the only ones that have a transcontinental railroad! Which famous railway connects the Russian capital to the Far East?
Red Russian Railway
- ↑ Resident: "Who is Lev, and why would he do this?"
?: "He's just some Soviet former mobster jagoff. He and his crew joined up with us a while back. You probably saw him hanging around the Crater Core? Liked to think of himself as Meg's number two, but I don't think she thought the same. Dunno why he did what he did. Maybe just hates ghouls. Maybe hates the rest of Meg's gang. Maybe both. I'll 'member to ask him next time he tries to kill me."
- ↑ Resident: "How did you end up here?"
Lev: "From Russia, before the war. But I like it here. Americans are so soft. Such easy prey."
- ↑ Nobody ever considers Lev's Soviet origins a problem, unlike Mochou's.
- ↑ Eddie Winter holotapes: "Message to Aleksandr Strelnikov I mean, come on! 1 bullet, from halfway across town, and you blew Ron Trevio's head clean off. You, sir, are an artist! Are all the assassins from Russia as good as you? I seriously doubt it. But listen. Your secret's safe with me. Eddie Winter, signing off"
- ↑ Natalia Dubrovhsky's biography: "The granddaughter of a Soviet Union diplomat from the Los Angeles Consulate, Natalia is of Russian descent. She is a very talented acrobat, with excellent coordination and reflexes. High intelligence and resourcefulness coupled with a natural curiosity towards the outside world make her a perfect candidate for seeking out the water chip. The dwellers will certainly feel safer, as Natalia's childhood was rife with problems understanding personal property laws. "
- ↑ Classical Radio
- ↑ Svetlana: "Congratulations, comrade! You are now top notch secret agent. I look forward to seeing what you do for Mother Russia."
Comment upon completion of the cut Mission: Accessible quest.