Background[edit | edit source]
Formerly manned by soldiers from Echo Company of the 104th Infantry Regiment, the checkpoint was responsible searching vehicles for contraband, and were authorized to disassemble vehicles to thus end. When the Great War broke out, the checkpoint began broadcasting on emergency frequency RJ1138, calling all South Boston Army soldiers to its coordinates in a loop. As of 2287, the checkpoint has fallen under Gunners control, with an unnamed Gunner commander in charge of it.
Layout[edit | edit source]
The checkpoint is located directly west of the Castle and past the bridge just outside of the South Boston area. It consists of two structures, the main building guarded by two Gunners and a trailer where a single Gunner is often found resting. The trailer houses a sleeping bag and a mattress, as well as a Fat Man.
In the main building, there is a Master locked safe with ammunition and other containers with minor loot. Two beds and a weapons workbench are also available in this building. On the northern side lies an APC. On the western side of the building, there is a cage that can be opened with a nearby Expert locked terminal. The cage contains a power armor station, a full set of power armor and a mini nuke. On top of the building lies a skeleton, next to a leveled combat sniper rifle.
Notable loot[edit | edit source]
- Guns and Bullets issue #7 - On a desk within the checkpoint building.
- Fat Man - Found inside the trailer.
- Leveled power armor - Inside the locked cage just outside the checkpoint building.
- One mini nuke - Inside the locked cage behind the power armor.
- Two fusion cores - One near the elevator to the highway, the other is pre-installed in the power armor suit.
- Chinese stealth armor - In a trunk.
Related quests[edit | edit source]
- Learning Curve: After speaking with Proctor Quinlan, the Sole Survivor can agree to escort a Brotherhood scribe on a research patrol. They will travel together to acquire data and return it to the Prydwen to further the Brotherhood's aims.
- Randolph Safehouse: The Railroad agent Mister Tims will leave dead drops in the form of six holotapes for the Sole Survivor, containing information about possible hazards to the Railroad's escort and escape of synths out of the Commonwealth. They can assist in these efforts by clearing out the location of hostiles.
- Quartermastery: Scribe Haylen has identified the location of a piece of technology she wishes to retrieve and catalog. She asks the Sole Survivor for help in bringing back the technology in one piece.
- Cleansing the Commonwealth: Knight Rhys gives the Sole Survivor an assignment to clear the location of what he calls "abominations" to further the aims of the Brotherhood of Steel.
- A Permanent Solution: One of the leaders of the Nuka-World raider gangs tasks the player character with neutralizing a target to further their gang's aims.
- Can You See Me Now?
Notes[edit | edit source]
- The power armor frame here yields a full suit of leveled power armor that maxes out at X-01 Mk I at level 28, in contrast to other full X-01 sets that reach a maximum tier of Mk III at level 47.
- The items (including the Fat Man) respawn faster than the Gunners do.
Companion comments[edit | edit source]
- When at this location, companions make comments.[clarification needed]
Appearances[edit | edit source]
The South Boston military checkpoint appears only in Fallout 4.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- South Boston military checkpoint terminal entries; Current Orders
- Fallout 4 Vault Dweller's Survival Guide Collector's Edition p.373: "[6.10] SOUTH BOSTON MILITARY CHECKPOINT
Just west of South Boston Neighborhood, this was once a gathering place for military but is now an ambush spot for Gunners. There’s a Fat Man inside the truck trailer, loot (including a magazine) inside the small bunker, and a wall safe (Master). Unlock the outside terminal (Expert) around the back to access a small secured area with Power Armor and a Mini Nuke."
(Fallout 4 Vault Dweller's Survival Guide Map)