| ||This page is about the energy weapon that appears in the Fallout: New Vegas add-on Old World Blues. For the Fallout: New Vegas quest item, see Sonic emitter (item).|
| ||This is an overview article which contains background information and cross-game comparisons. For game-specific information and stats, see the articles linked on the right.|
The sonic emitter is a pistol-grip energy weapon developed at the Big Mountain Research and Development Center by Doctor 8. It can be programmed with recorded frequencies to change its effect on targets, ranging from electrocution to dismemberment. With the addition of the X-8 vertebrae-pulse-de-sensitizer frequency, the sonic emitter gains the ability to disrupt the Big MT Facility's many force-fields.
The pistol's chassis is composed of a gray metallic tube outfitted with four vacuum tubes, a housing for a small energy cell, a conical muzzle, and a rear-mounted oscilloscope, all attached to a pistol grip. It shares some visual features with other pistol-grip energy weapons, such as the pulse gun, Euclid's C-Finder, and the recharger pistol. Reprogramming the sonic emitter changes the color of the oscilloscope and energy rings, as well as introducing unique effects when the weapon scores a critical hit.
All variants are improved holdout weapons and are affected by The Professional perk. They can be repaired with any other variant of the sonic emitter, and any energy pistol with the Jury Rigging perk.
Sonic emitter - Gabriel's barkEdit
This is an Energy Weapons pistol with bonus damage against robots and power armor wearers, as well as a unique "critical strike knockback" effect which knocks enemies back on a critical strike.
- Found within one of Gabe's dig spots in X-8. It is randomly placed in one of the many dig spots.
Sonic emitter - opera singerEdit
This is an Energy Weapons pistol with bonus damage against robots and power armor wearers, as well as a unique "critical strike dismemberment" effect which cripples the target's limbs on a critical strike. A kill results in the enemy being blown to bits, similar to the Bloody Mess perk.
- Found on a nightstand upstairs, in Doctor 8's house.
Sonic emitter - revelationEdit
This is an Energy Weapons pistol with bonus damage against robots and power armor wearers, as well as a unique "critical strike paralysis" effect which temporarily knocks down your target.
- This is the default setting when the weapon is first obtained.
Sonic emitter - robo-scorpionEdit
This is an Energy Weapons pistol with bonus damage against robots and power armor wearers, as well as a unique "critical strike explosion" effect.
- Found within the Giant Robo Scorpion room, located on the elevated platform in the back of the room, on the center desk.
Sonic emitter - tarantulaEdit
This is an Energy Weapons pistol with bonus damage against robots and power armor wearers, as well as a unique "critical strike incendiary" effect which ignites the target on a critical hit.
- Found in Doctor 0's house, upstairs in the leftmost room on top of the computer.
|- Weapon name (melee or unarmed)||- Attacks in V.A.T.S.|
|- Weapon name (gun, energy or explosive)||- Action point cost|
|- Damage per attack (damage per projectile)||- Damage per action point|
|- Damage per second||- Weapon spread|
|- Area of effect damage||- Magazine capacity (shots per reload)|
|- Effect damage & duration||- Durability (number of attacks before breaking)|
|- Bonus effects||- Weight|
|- Attacks per second||- Value in caps|
|- Critical chance % multiplier||- Value to weight ratio|
|- Critical damage||- Skill required|
|- Critical effect damage & duration||- Strength required|
|- With all mods attached|
|Sonic emitter - Gabriel's bark||55||56.9||+20||1.03||x1||25||Knockback||30||1.8||0.1||24(12)||495||2||3500||1750||50||2|
|Sonic emitter - opera singer||55||56.9||+20||1.03||x1||25||Dismember||30||1.8||0.1||24||495||2||3500||1750||50||2|
|Sonic emitter - revelation||31||32.1||+20||1.03||x1||18||Paralyze/10s||30||1||0.1||24||495||2||3500||1750||50||2|
|Sonic emitter - robo-scorpion||65||67.2||+20||1.03||x1||30||+100||30||2.2||0.1||24(8)||495||2||3500||1750||75||2|
|Sonic emitter - tarantula||60||62.1||+20||1.03||x1||30||+2/5s||30||2||0.1||24(8)||495||2||3500||1750||75||2|
- The sonic emitter is a type of weapon, not an individual model. The five models are variants of each other, but there is no basic variant.
- The default sonic emitter is "Revelation"; access to each of the other variants requires the Courier to find the matching holotape.
- Though the narrative is that Blind Diode Jefferson reprograms the player's sonic emitter with the requested effect, in terms of game mechanics, the NPC actually trades the one the Courier had with a new instance of the variant that is requested, resulting in receiving a new Emitter at nearly full condition (about 90% of full weapon health), regardless of the condition of the emitter that is brought. This also means that it is effectively unnecessary to repair the weapon during Old World Blues.
- Although the pulse gun does more damage and bonus EMP damage against all robots, each sonic emitter does +20 damage against Big MT robots and +50 damage against Mojave robots and power armor.