The infobox template in this article is missing some required data. You can help Nukapedia by filling it in.
The quest starts by traveling to Foundation and speaking with Maggie. Alternatively, one can enter Monongah Mine during the A Colossal Problem event and pick up a holotape entitled A father's goodbye, which will also lead to her.
She tasks the player character with finding a way to enter the mine for the purpose of finding any trace of her father, Earle. She mentions that a large explosion may pry the mine's entrance open. Another clue as to how to gain entrance can be found in the form of a raider's note.
In any case, the next step is to personally drop a nuke on Monongah Mine, triggering the event quest A Colossal Problem, thus gaining access to the mine's interior. Progressing the event quest results in the player character finding and having to kill her father, who has mutated into a powerful wendigo colossus. Afterward, one can find his pocket watch on his remains.
Traveling back to Maggie will conclude the quest with different outcomes: [clarification needed]
- Telling her that nothing was found allows for keeping the pocket watch.
- Telling her that only the watch was found results in losing the watch and gaining 60 caps as well as ~300 XP.
- Telling her the truth about her father's mutation and death results in losing the watch and gaining 25 caps as well as experience.
- It's possible to obtain Earle's pocket watch even if another player nukes Monongah Mine, as long as you join and complete the public event A Colossal Problem.
- Although the quest's existence was known prior to the release of Wastelanders, it was ultimately not released on April 14, 2020, alongside the update's first release. It was finally activated on August 18 in The Legendary Run patch 18.104.22.168, following further testing in the game's Private Test Server. It was originally slated to be included with Patch 20, then Patch 21, but was delayed both times to allow for polishing and internal testing.