So named for the snorting noise she makes when sniffing about, Snuffles is a tamed mole rat living in Sloan managing to keep the morale up even though the quarry workers cannot work because of all the deathclaws. She originally helped the miners by digging tunnels and assisting in the mining at the quarry. Although when the Powder Gangers attacked and stole explosives, they allowed the pack of deathclaws to move in, forcing the crew to abandon the quarry. Her leg was badly injured by a baby deathclaw during the escape and none of the miners or their foreman Chomps Lewis are skilled enough to heal her leg, though the Courier may be able to so. The injury also resulted in Snuffles walking with a limp.
Interactions with the player character
|This character starts quests.|
- Claws Mended: Snuffles is a mole rat that seems to have a damaged leg. The Courier can heal the leg if they have 30 points in Medicine. This will gain some NCR fame if Chomps Lewis is informed of the good deed. The Courier can also stop by once in a while to ask her how things are going.
|Apparel||Weapon||Other items||On death|
|Mole rat meat|
- Shooting Snuffles will result in infamy with the NCR.
- Because of all the nearby deathclaws that sometimes stray into the town and attack the occupants of Sloan, Snuffles can be killed, making Claws Mended impossible to complete, if not done so already.
- Moira Brown of Fallout 3 wondered if mole rats could be domesticated. Snuffles, along with Pumpkin from Fallout 3, Noodles from Fallout 76 and the Animal Friend perk, prove that they can.
- Snuffles will turn hostile if the Courier is disguised as a member of the Brotherhood, even if the Courier has made a truce between NCR and Brotherhood across the questline.
- Snuffles will be hostile if the Courier has a bad reputation with the NCR and can see through disguises.
- Snuffles may be attacked by a bark scorpion if it spawns too close to town. Snuffles will usually kill the scorpion and survive the battle, only to succumb to poison later.
- Despite his alleged hatred of all types of rats, Rex will not attack Snuffles (assuming she has not been made hostile by the Courier).
Snuffles appears only in Fallout: New Vegas.
Behind the scenes
At some point during development, Snuffles was described as being male instead of female.