|For an overview of sniper rifle models, see sniper rifle.|
The sniper rifle is a scoped rifle found in the Capital and Mojave Wastelands. Chambered for .308 ammunition, it is semi-automatic with a five round magazine.
Once modified with a suppressor, it becomes the perfect weapon for an assassin when "hidden" in sneak mode, alerting only those fired upon by the player character at no loss of faction reputation even if the death is witnessed by nearby non-player-characters. With the added bonus of sneak attack criticals, most targets are easily eliminated with a single shot. Due to the rifle's decent rate of fire, any target that survives the first shot can be killed quickly with a second shot before alerting any nearby non-player-characters.
The sniper rifle can fire a total of about 395 standard rounds, the equivalent of 79 reloads, from full condition before breaking.
|Standard, HP, & AP||395||79|
- Sniper rifle suppressor - Reduces weapon noise.
- Sniper rifle carbon fiber parts - Reduces weight by 5.
- Gobi Campaign scout rifle, a unique sniper rifle that produces more damage-per-shot, has less spread, degrades slower, uses less Action Points, sports a reduced weight, has a faster rate of fire and includes a larger magazine.
- Christine's CoS silencer rifle, a unique sniper rifle that comes with 21 more base damage, a lower rate of fire, and a suppressor attached.
|- Weapon name (melee or unarmed)||- Attacks in V.A.T.S.|
|- Weapon name (gun, energy or explosive)||- Action point cost|
|- Damage per attack (damage per projectile)||- Damage per action point|
|- Damage per second||- Weapon spread|
|- Area of effect damage||- Magazine capacity (shots per reload)|
|- Effect damage & duration||- Durability (number of attacks before breaking)|
|- Bonus effects||- Weight|
|- Attacks per second||- Value in caps|
|- Critical chance % multiplier||- Value to weight ratio|
|- Critical damage||- Skill required|
|- Critical effect damage & duration||- Strength required|
|- With all mods attached|
|Christine's CoS silencer rifle||62||99.6||1.61||x2.5||62||38||1.6||0.02||5||420||5.5||6100||1109.1||75||6|
|Gobi Campaign scout rifle||48||102.9||2.14||x2||80||24||2||0.018||6||795||4.5||6200||1377.8||75||6|
- 188 trading post - can be bought from the arms merchant after level 11.
- Atomic Wrangler Casino - one can be found on the top floor, first door of the Atomic Wrangler inside a very hard locked case.
- Caesar's Legion safehouse - one can be found in poor condition.
- Camp McCarran - on top of a bed in the First Recon tent, where Sterling is, in poor condition. Can also be bought from Daniel Contreras in the Camp McCarran supply shack.
- Gomorrah - three in poor condition can sometimes be found in the room with gun shipments. Be sure you take them before you destroy the shipments with thermite during the quest How Little We Know.
- Gun Runners - can be bought from the Vendortron after level 11.
- Inside a Hard locked room in a ruined building, to the northeast of mole rat ranch. Both of the doors are booby-trapped into this building.
- Can occasionally be picked off legionary assassins.
- Vault 34 - two can be found in the Armory (accessed by using the terminal in the Overseer's Office). They are in very poor condition.
- Three can be found on mercenaries outside of Jacobstown.
- Hoover Dam - a few can be found on NCR rangers at early levels. One can also be obtained during You'll Know It When It Happens quest.
- The Crow's Nest - one near some first aid boxes and ammunition boxes at the NCR riot control position.
- Third Street Municipal Building - one at the top floor, near the dead NCR riot control officer.
- Ashton silo control station, taking a right turn just before reaching it. In a building near a wrecked crane, on the way to the
- When aiming, nothing is shown but a blank terminal screen instead of the scope reticle. This glitch can occur after logging onto a terminal in which the terminal screen does not show. Loading a previous save or quitting has no effect. Shutting off the console and then loading a save fixes the problem on Xbox 360 and PS3. [verified]
- Sometimes while aiming with the scope, brightly colored shapes will appear instead of the standard scope image, obscuring 3/4 of the screen. Turning off your system and reloading save will fix this. [verified]
- Sometimes the game will freeze when equipping the rifle. Turning off the system and loading a save will fix this. [verified]
- patch 126.96.36.1995. [verified] Carbon fiber parts modification sets the sniper rifle weight to 3 Lbs., but will still take 8 Lbs. from your carry capacity. This was fixed in
- anti-materiel rifle. [verified] When holding the aim button in third person view while switching to the sniper rifle, the end of the barrel will be visible in the bottom right corner of the scope. This also affects the
- Sometimes after changing ammunition type, reloading animation plays twice. [verified]