Split (reason: Should be split by game like other perks)
It has been suggested that this article or section should be split. Please help Nukapedia by discussing this issue on the article's talk page.
|For the skill, see Sneak (skill).|
|1||AGI 3||Become whisper, become shadow. You are 20% harder to detect while sneaking.||0004C935|
|2||AGI 3, LVL 5||You are now 30% harder to detect while sneaking, and no longer trigger floor-based traps.||000B9882|
|3||AGI 3, LVL 12||You are now 40% harder to detect while sneaking, and no longer trigger enemy mines.||000B9883|
|4||AGI 3, LVL 23||You are now 50% harder to detect while sneaking, and running no longer adversely affects stealth.||000B9884|
|5||AGI 3, LVL 38||Engaging stealth causes distant enemies to lose you.||000B9881|
- Other bonuses that stack with this perk in helping avoid detection are:
- Sneak works very well with Ninja and other perks that increase the sneak attack bonus multiplier.
- Rank 2 applies to all non-trigger-tension traps, such as physical tripwires, bathroom scales wired to grenades, and even laser tripwires on walls.
- The trap avoiding bonuses from ranks 2 and 3 also work when not sneaking.
- Rank 4 seems to completely eliminate the effect of footsteps on detection odds. If it is active then muffle armor mods are unnecessary and sneaking in power armor becomes much easier.
- Rank 5 bestows an effect similar to that of a Stealth Boy or Chameleon armor effect when entering sneak mode, rendering the player, any equipped weaponry, and the Pip-Boy invisible for approximately one second. Note that this can interfere with aiming using non-scoped weaponry, or seeing the Pip-Boy display properly if brought up during that period of time. Unlike Chameleon armor, the player need not remain still for this effect to work.
- Dogmeat had a unique rank 5, but this was removed in patch 1.6.
- All companions have the effects of 4 ranks of Sneak except Curie who is missing all ranks of Sneak as both robot and synth.
Behind the scenes
The workings of sneaking in general and the associated perk/skill underwent a steady evolution with each new Bethesda RPG. One difference is how the AI reacts to an undetected opponent. In Fallout 3, everyone knew instantly where the player character was as soon as the fight started. In Skyrim, opponents would search for the player character, but in a non-smart way and simply run to the location that they saw or heard something. In Fallout 4, opponents take evasive maneuvers, run in unpredictable ways, jump from cover to cover and try to take a detour in order to flank the player character.
Sometimes, NPCs will turn hostile when stealing from them, even if player character was not caught and was hidden.
|1||You are 25% harder to detect when sneaking.||0004C935|
|2||You are 50% harder to detect when sneaking.||003896FC|
|3||You are 75% harder to detect when sneaking.||000B9883|
- Many of the bonuses from Fallout 4 carry over to sneaking in Fallout 76.
- The ability to not trigger floor-based traps and mines from Fallout 4 has become the new perk Light Footed.
- Wearing any power armor disables the effects of this perk at any rank.
- Sneak is one of a number of stealth-related perks in Fallout 76 that are primarily affected by Agility, including:
- Covert Operative: Increases ranged sneak attack damage.
- Escape Artist: Makes it possible to sneak from enemies to quickly lose them, and makes movement silent.
- Mister Sandman: Silenced weapons do additional damage at night.
- Night Eyes (Perception-based perk): Grant night vision while sneaking.
- Ninja: Increases melee sneak attack damage.
- Secret Agent: Increases the duration of Stealth Boys.
Fallout: The Board Game
Once obtained, it can be discarded to sneak for the rest of the turn. Enemies can not stop the player character from performing actions in the same space as them. Enemies with the aggressive trait will also not attack the player character.
This article is too short to provide more than rudimentary information about the subject. You can help Nukapedia by expanding it.