Fallout Interactive Experience
Do you like this video?
|For a cross-game overview of this skill, see Sneak.|
“Quiet movement, and the ability to remain unnoticed. If successful, you will be much harder to locate. You cannot run and sneak at the same time.”— In-game description
Most aspects of the Sneak skill are the same as for Fallout 3. This includes the initial statistic, the sneak meter, stealing and pickpocketing, and Sneak Attack Criticals. Exceptions and new aspects are described below.
Sneak in quests and exploration
- 25 Sneak can be used to convince Trudy to fight the Powder Gangers as an alternative to 25 Speech.
- 50 Sneak is required to smuggle improved holdout weapons into New Vegas casinos, as well as the interrogation room at Camp McCarran.
- 50 Sneak is required to convince Mister Holdout to sell improved holdout weapons.
- 75 Sneak is needed to convince Father Elijah that hiding in the Sierra Madre is easy, and effectively get him to come down into the Sierra Madre vault.
|Friend of the Night||30||2||Perception 6|
|Silent Running||50||12||Agility 6|
|Ninja||80||20||[[Melee Weapons] (Fallout: New Vegas)|Melee Weapons]] 80|
Ways to improve Sneak
- Leveling up (up to 10 + INT/2 + 2 with Educated perk)
- Chinese Army: Special Ops Training Manual (+3 or +4 with Comprehension perk)
- Agility Implant (+1 depending on current Agility, a perfect Agility of 10 will see no benefit)
- Tag! (+15)
- Skilled (+5)
- Fire ant nectar (+2-8 depending on current Agility, a perfect Agility of 10 will see no benefit.)
- Recon armor (+5)
- Stealth Boy (+100, +75 cloaking field)
- Chinese stealth armor (+5)
- ¡La Fantoma! (+10 or +20 with Comprehension perk)
- Assassin suit (+10)
- Salt-Upon-Wounds' helmet (+5)
- Stealth suit Mk II (+15 or +25 with the Firmware 1.1 Upgrade)
- Dead Horses stalker armor (+5)
- Blood-Nap (+10)
- Unlike in Fallout 3, sneak is determined by the character levels of the actor sneaking as well as the actor attempting to detect them.
- Items without weight or value, such as spent ammunition casings (e.g. case 9mm, drained microfusion cell, etc.) can be pickpocketed without a chance of failure or Karma loss, although this does not count as a "Picked Pocket" for any achievements. Many keys and cards also fall in this category.
- For items with weight or value, a pickpocket attempt has a minimum chance to succeed of 5% and a maximum chance of 85%.
- A failed pickpocketing attempt is not guaranteed to turn NPCs hostile, but it is possible.
- When hidden by a Stealth Boy in enemy territory, they can be pickpocketed.
- Stealing ammunition will make a non-player character unequip their weapon due to not having the ammunition for it, allowing even that to be stolen.
- If an item is in a difficult spot to steal but is not in an inventory of some kind (wardrobe, desk, person, etc.), one can easily steal it by the "Grab" function and taking it somewhere out of sight. NPCs do not perceive grabbing as stealing so they will not react unless when stealing the item the player character is still in their sight.
- With a high enough sneak, Ranger Ghost at the Mojave Outpost will comment that she didn't hear you come up the ramp.
Sneaking at lower character levels can cause higher level enemies to detect you further away than if you weren't crouching at all. [verified]