A makeshift bunker in a small cave. A prospector's dog seems to live there, his master is most likely the dead prospector found at Cottonwood Crater up the cliff to the south-west.
- There is a Sunset Sarsaparilla star bottle cap on a cinder block behind the radio.
- A Stealth Boy may be found in the ammo case, even after the latest patch.
- A campfire can be found south-east near a wrecked car.
- It is possible to store inventory in the camp, either using the two ammo boxes, or the empty suitcase. And it will not disappear when fast traveling or leaving the camp. You can also use the camp for player housing, as it is secluded and offers a safe place to rest.
Smith Mesa Prospector Camp appears in Fallout: New Vegas.
- Xbox 360PCPlaystation 3 It is possible to become permanently stuck in the corner near the bedroll and the stack of cinder blocks (where the healing powder is), forcing you to reload to a previous save or fast travel.
- Xbox 360 On the west side of the rock (in which the cave is located) there is a glitch in the game map that allows you to go inside of the rock. Inside the walls are invisible but you cannot go through them making it hard to get back out.