A makeshift bunker in a small cave. A prospector's dog seems to live there, his master is most likely the dead prospector found at Cottonwood Crater up the cliff to the south-west. The surrounding area also has a few fire geckos nearby and about 8 lakelurks to the east.
- There is a Sunset Sarsaparilla star bottle cap on a cinder block behind the radio.
- A Stealth Boy may be found in the ammunition case, even after the latest patch.
- A campfire can be found south-east near a wrecked car.
- It is possible to store items in the camp using the ammunition box, metal box, or the empty suitcase. Items will not disappear when fast traveling or leaving the camp. You can also use the camp for player housing, as it is secluded and offers a safe place to rest.
Smith Mesa Prospector Camp appears in Fallout: New Vegas.
- Xbox 360 It is possible to become permanently stuck in the corner near the bedroll and the stack of cinder blocks (where the healing powder is), forcing you to reload to a previous save or fast travel.
- PC On the west side of the rock (in which the cave is located) there is a glitch in the game map that allows you to go inside of the rock. Inside the walls are invisible but you cannot go through them making it hard to get back out.
- sometimes there is a fire gecko that will attack the dog or you.