Smiley came to Appalachia with the goal of trading gold bullion for caps. According to him, he gets his gold from "a thousand friends" and to not "worry about the specifics," but rather focus on "all you can get with it."
He claims to be the "truest of patriots" and that there's nothing more "American than a pile of gold." He also fancies himself a "remarkable individual" and claims those that can afford all his weekly stock of bullion are one as well since "it takes one to know one." He also seems to have knowledge about of the Secret Service.
Interactions with the player character
|This character ignores combat and cannot be damaged.|
|This character is a vendor.||
|This character is involved in quests.||
Appears after Secrets Revealed
|This character appears in the following locations.||
Effects of player's actions
- 1000 caps for 50 gold bullion
- 2000 caps for 100 gold bullion
- 3000 caps for 150 gold bullion
- 4000 caps for 200 gold bullion
- 5000 caps for 250 gold bullion
- 6000 caps for 300 gold bullion
|Rootin' tootin' cowboy outfit|
Smiley's bullion stock resets each Monday.
- Patch 21, Smiley's bullion would not reset, meaning the player character would have to wait another week to purchase from him.[patched] Prior to
- Patch 21, the reset occurred on Saturday at 8 p.m. EST, though the patch rectified this and changed the reset to actually occur on Monday.[patched] Prior to
- Smiley will not sell to players with 5,000 or more gold bullion, despite the limit being increased to 10,000 in patch 29. This is expected to be corrected in Patch 30.[verified]
- Vault Dweller: "How did you get gold bullion?"
Smiley: "Here and there, I've got a thousand friends. Hopefully you're one, too?" *chuckle* "Don't worry about the specifics. Think of all you can get with it. The Secret Service has a lot of very exclusive, very powerful tech, right? So let's do some business."
- Vault Dweller: "Nice outfit"
Smiley: *Chuckle* "I'm the truest of patriots, and nothing says America more than a pile of gold, am I right?! So, can I help you showcase your own American spirit?"
- Vault Dweller: [Pay 6000 caps] "Give me all you have. 300, is it?"
Smiley: "You are truly a remarkable individual. And I should know! 'It takes one to know one' as my dearest Mamma would always say."
- Fallout 76: Update 21 Patch Notes – August 4, 2020