It is useful only as Rock-It Launcher ammunition in Fallout 3. In Fallout: New Vegas, however, it can be used (via the Book Chute in the add-on Old World Blues) to make blank books which can be used in skill book recipes to make skill books. With the Voracious Reader perk, they can be used to create skill magazines as well. They can be found in many locations in both games, predominately in houses and libraries.
- 139 in the Arlington Library's lobby.
- 43 in the National Archives.
- 39 in the Chryslus Building's reception area.
- 32 in the National Guard depot.
- 29 in the Springvale school, elementary section.
- 16 in total in Megaton.
- Eight in the Dunwich Building.
- 77 in Blackhall Manor in Point Lookout.
- 67 in Calvert Mansion.
Fallout: New Vegas
- 46 books on a bookshelf in one of the Nelson houses, together with 60 small destroyed books, 27 small burned books and 25 small ruined books.
- 42 in H&H Tools Factory.
- 24 inside the Bison Steve Hotel in Primm.
- 20 in the facility of the REPCONN test site.