The knife does a lot more damage than a normal knife - more than twice that of any other knife in the game. This results in it almost always dismembering the target. It can be repaired with other knives, including unique variants.
The slasher knife can successfully strike about 400 times from full condition before breaking.
- Knife - the common variant found throughout the Capital Wasteland.
- Ant's Sting - obtained by siding with the AntAgonizer in The Superhuman Gambit, Ant's Sting is slightly stronger than the regular knife, and deals poison damage over time.
- Ritual knife - even more powerful than the Ant's Sting, the ritual knife only uses 12 AP for each V.A.T.S. attack.
- Toy knife - using even less AP than the ritual knife, 10 compared to 12, the toy knife uses the lowest amount of AP for any weapon in the base game of Fallout 3. However, it does very little damage, much less than the regular knife.
The knife is obtained along with the Pint-Sized Slasher mask during the Tranquility Lane quest if the player character decides to help Betty kill all the residents of Tranquility Lane. It is then located in the doghouse beside the abandoned house and is automatically equipped upon receiving it.
At the end of the quest or upon exiting the simulation, the knife is automatically removed from your inventory. The glitch which allows one to take items out of the Anchorage Reclamation simulation does not work here due to the fact that it is a "quest item" and cannot be removed from the player character.
- When acquiring the knife by using console commands, using the command player.unequipitem once allows one to equip and unequip them as normal. It is impossible to get unequip without resetting the quest flag by using setquestobject <base_id> 0.
- If the slasher knife is acquired via console commands, it shows up PipOS Error #-26 (File Not Found) in the Pip-Boy 3000.
- If the player character stabs a body three times the screen will become red and the body will explode.