On the morning of the Great War, the airliner was approaching Boston Airport from Chicago with several passengers and crew onboard. When Boston was struck by nuclear bombs, the shockwave of the blast crippled the plane. In desperation, the captain and first officer attempted to land the plane on the nearby highway. It instead collided with the overpass and crashed hundreds of feet away. Since the crash, the wreckage has been picked over by generations of raiders and scavengers.
The main body of the aircraft is in a gulch between two rocky bluffs. The plane seems to have broken apart into five main pieces, including two wings and three fuselage sections. The cockpit section's lower area consists of cargo and baggage areas. The cockpit section is accessible by some debris on the left side through a hole in the hull, where the Sole Survivor can gain access to the passenger compartment. The left and right wing of the plane are entirely snapped off.
This area may spawn two random opposing factions, which may attack the player character if they have a negative standing with any of them. Although, this area may also spawn hostile scavengers including raiders, super mutants and the Children of Atom. The factions will respawn randomly every few days, as will the loot containers.
A Gunner outpost can be found on the collapsed highway southwest of the crash site. If the miscellaneous quest Meet Ness at the Crash Site is active, this is the site of the secret compartment Ness wishes to liberate from raiders.
- Astoundingly Awesome Tales issue #6 - In the bathroom (on top of the back of the toilet) under the cockpit.
- Skylanes Flight 1981 recording - In the cockpit. Added with picking up the flight data recorder (left to the seating, looks like a bright orange globe).
- Skylanes smuggling manifest - In a Master locked safe called "hidden compartment" in the cargo section under the cockpit. The hidden compartment also contains chems, weapons, ammo, and cash.
- graphic t-shirts and Letter from Randall in a suitcase. A variety of
- If this location is visited after completing Reunions, The Brotherhood of Steel may occupy the area after killing the raiders, super mutants or Children of Atom.
- If the secret compartment is looted without first taking the quest from Ness, one can inform her that it has already been found. She will be surprised and continue on her way, which doesn't allow completion of the quest.
- When at this location, companions make comments, which are activated upon approaching the main part of the wreckage from the west.
|Curie||"Surely there is a working airplane somewhere. To study the world from above would be very illuminating."|
|Deacon||"And those things flew in the air? No thanks."|
The Skylanes Flight 1981 appears only in Fallout 4.
- Fallout 4 Vault Dweller's Survival Guide Collector's Edition p. 279: "[2.10] SKYLANES FLIGHT 1981
On October 23, 2077, Skylanes Flight 1981 (with service to Boston) had just begun its final descent when the bombs began to fall. The shock wave crippled the plane. Since the crash, the wreckage has been picked over by generations of Raiders and scavengers."
(Fallout 4 Vault Dweller's Survival Guide Map)
- Skylanes Flight 1981 recording