Simon has been with the Van Graff family for a couple years and is responsible for guarding the door at the Silver Rush. His duties include weapon checks and turning away drunks and addicts while keeping a very professional, authoritarian attitude. Simon likes to use a laser rifle, because of the superior speed of its projectiles, but Gloria wants at least one guard to use the plasma rifle (since the visual appeal draws in customers), so Simon is equipped with a plasma rifle instead.
Interactions with the player character
|This character is involved in quests.|
- Birds of a Feather: If the Courier wishes to work for the Van Graff family, Gloria's first task for them will be to aid Simon with checking over potential customers.
|Apparel||Weapon||Other items||On death|
|Black combat armor||Plasma rifle||Stimpak (75% ch.)
1x - 5x bottle caps (50% ch.)
1x-8x drained microfusion cells (75% ch.)
Van Graff key
- Simon is simply seen as Van Graff thug before Gloria Van Graff unveils his name to the Courier.
- Attacking or outright killing Simon will cause the other Van Graff thugs from inside the Silver Rush to rush outside and engage the Courier.
- If Simon is killed before he is assigned to guard the door during the Birds of a Feather quest, during which the Courier is required to speak with him, the quest will still be initiated, but it will be impossible to complete.
- Failing to prevent the bomber from destroying the store during the Birds of a Feather quest results in Simon investigating the ruined shop interior. Upon speaking to him inside, he will express anger towards the Courier for costing him his job. He will then become hostile and attack.
- After helping Simon with guarding the door, his speech dialogue will change. He will jokingly pretend to not recognize the Courier and afterwards let them enter the store.
- "I'm afraid I'm going to have to search you before letting you in. The only weapons allowed on the premises are the ones we're selling."
- "Other than that, relax. There's usually some eye candy coming and going from the Wrangler over there at some point, so the view's not too bad."
- "You can always tell a rookie. You look too eager. Give the job a few hours, and the shine'll come right off."
Simon appears only in Fallout: New Vegas.
Birds of a Feather quest. [verified]If a save is done and afterwards Simon attacks the player, caused by the player attacking a civilian in Freeside, a bug may appear in a reload of previous save where Simon still attacks the player without said civilian attack performed. This causes the player to automatically fail the
- The Courier: "Laser."
Simon: "Now that you're equipped, a quick word on the job at hand. In a nutshell, we're here to keep the riff-raff away. Drunks, punks, and capless vermin are to be turned away. Potential customers are to be permitted normal entrance. That is, after we pat them down for weapons. An unarmed man is a lot less likely to try to steal something with several armed guards around. Don't start any fights. I don't care if some Jet junkie just insulted your mother, we're here to promote violence elsewhere, not start it here. Lastly, don't abandon your post. We're getting paid to stand next to this door, not talk to someone down the street or head to the casino. That goes double for any thoughts of splitting with that gear. Every now and then some young punk thinks he can run off with Van Graff property. Trust me, the rifle and armor are nice, but they're not worth your life."
- The Courier: "Laser."
Simon: "Good choice. I prefer laser-based weapons myself, but the boss lady said she wants at least one guard using a plasma rifle. Says the lightning bits draw in more people. Whatever."
- Simon: "They're all dead. Guy must've had some kind of explosive on him, set off all the ordinance in this place at once. Congratulations, rookie. You just cost me my job. Don't think I don't appreciate it."
- Simon: "Welcome to the Silver Rush, New Vegas's best- ah, I'm just kidding. Go on in."