|For an overview of shovels, see Shovel.|
A wood handled shovel, required for digging up graves. In combat it can be used against weaker enemies without wasting ammunition or the durability of stronger melee weapons.
|- Type of attack||- Skill required|
|- Damage per attack in V.A.T.S.||- Action point cost|
|- Damage per action point||- Additional effects|
- Note: Melee weapons do double normal damage in V.A.T.S.
It is possible to execute Grand Slam outside of V.A.T.S. (without the required Melee skill of 50 to perform the move) by initiating a power attack (hold attack button) while moving forward.
The shovel can successfully strike about 1495 times from full condition before breaking.
- Outside of Goodsprings, next to the second water valve from the town near the Goodsprings source. It can be found during the in-game tutorial given by Sunny Smiles. This shovel is fully repaired, costs no caps and doesn't take the player outside of the starting area where they are prompted to rebuild the character or continue.
- One can be found on the floor of greenhouse farthest south from the entrance of the NCR sharecropper farms.
- One can be bought in poor condition from Chet in the Goodsprings General Store. Every time his inventory refreshes, he will have one shovel.
- One can sometimes be bought from Johnson Nash in Primm.
- X-8 research center. One can be found on the floor next to the coffins on level 2 of the
- Although the shovel uses the same in-game model as its Point Lookout counterpart, it lacks the higher resolution first-person textures used in the Point Lookout add-on.
- The shovel does not need to be equipped to dig up graves. It only needs to be in the player character's inventory, thus doing this will not reduce the durability of the shovel.
- This weapon can achieve a 100% critical hit chance (see critical chance).
- With the Jury Rigging perk, shovels can be quite valuable as they can be purchased cheaply and used to repair some high priced weapons such as the super sledge.