|For an overview of shotgun models, see shotgun.|
A shotgun, also called a "scattergun," is a firearm designed to shoot a multitude of lead or steel balls of varying sizes, greatly increasing the weapon's hit potential. This makes it very effective at hunting game. However, the accuracy and power found at close range starts to diminish as the target gets farther away. Shotguns designed for the military's use are often called "combat shotguns."
The Winchester Widowmaker shotgun is a double-barreled 12 gauge shotgun with a mahogany grip. It also has a sawed-off variant in Fallout 2. It is a common weapon used early in the game. Compared to the sawed-off version, this has a 2-point-lower max damage, and requires both hands, but has doubled range.
- Given by Killian Darkwater, as a reward for killing Gizmo, along with 100 12 gauge shotgun shells.
- Inside a fridge at the Khan Base.
- Carried by Junktown guards.
- John carries this.
- Tycho, a Desert Ranger and possible companion, carries one.
- A bookshelf in a back room at the Hall in Necropolis, only accessible by the sewers.
- In a locker in the Vault 13 armory.
- Caleb in the Boneyard carries one.
- Carried by a Far Go Traders guard.
- Carried by Cougar.
- Sold by Flick in the Den.
- Carried by Becky's door guard
- Carried by Metzger in the Den.
- One in John Cassidy's office in Vault City's courtyard.
- Carried by Widow Rooney in Redding Downtown
Behind the scenes
The shotgun's name, the Winchester Widowmaker, is a reference to the real life Winchester Model 1911 shotgun that was nicknamed "the Widowmaker" due to a safety issue. Unlike the real shotgun, however, the Widowmaker in the games is a double-barrel shotgun instead of a single-barreled semi-automatic.