When the Sole Survivor first approaches Sheffield, they can hear him repeating that he is thirsty for Nuka-Cola. They can engage in conversation with him, where he shares that needs Nuka-Cola, but can't go into the Dugout Inn to purchase any, because he does not want to be around alcohol. He continues, saying that his doctor told him he can't drink liquor anymore, due to extensive damage to his liver.
One can give Sheffield a Nuka-Cola from their inventory, to which Sheffield will stand up and profess his gratitude, mentioning that now he can wake up, his vision is not hazy, and he can finally think straight. The Sole Survivor can ask Sheffield if he would like to work for them, to which he will be enthused, and can be subsequently sent to a settlement.
Before recruiting Sheffield, one can hear a conversation between he and fellow Diamond City resident Darcy Pembroke, as she asks him if he has seen her husband Paul, who is missing, causing her to be worried. Sheffield comments that he is not surprised Paul ran off, being married to Darcy. Darcy retorts, telling him that was a horrible thing to say, to which Sheffield continues, commenting that Paul is better off, wherever he is. Darcy exclaims that Sheffield wouldn't know anything after all, as he is a "no good drunk." Sheffield replies that it "takes one to know one" and laughs as Darcy walks away, calling "see you around, Darcy!" after her. The Sole Survivor can overhear her say that every time she talks to Sheffield, she regrets it.
Interactions with the player character
|This character starts quests.|
- Nuka Cola Needs: If given a Nuka-Cola, Sheffield will be elated and can be recruited and sent to a settlement, where he will act as a normal settler.
- Unlike other settlers, he can die during a battle and will not regenerate Hit Points.
- He will never consume any Nuka-Cola given to him. They remain in his inventory and can be taken back through trading, even the one given to him for his recruitment.
- If the Sole Survivor gives Sheffield a Nuka-Cola with Cait as a companion, she will object and will dislike the action.
- MacCready will dislike the act of giving Sheffield a Nuka-Cola.
Sheffield appears only in Fallout 4.
- Sole Survivor for the Nuka-Cola, even if the bottle is taken from his inventory.[verified] If spoken to after being recruited to a settlement, Sheffield may repeatedly thank the
- If assigned to work as a trader you will not be able to access the store. He will simply talk about Nuka-Cola instead. (NOTE: Sheffield does work as a trader, though there are hiccups due to his character never being assigned merchant dialogue. Half of his dialogue leads the Sole Survivor offering to come work for him and Sheffield repeating his thanks for Nuka-Cola, the other half leads to the barter screen.)[verified]
- provisioner, he will be missing the required dialogue and won't say anything. This will cause him to stay put despite choosing the option to free him. Leaving him there for too long will cause the rescue mission to fail, the route between the settlements will become unassigned, and Sheffield will die.[verified] If Sheffield is kidnapped while assigned as a
- Sheffield: "So thirsty... Nuka-Cola..."
- Sheffield: "Dugout Inn usually has some... but I can't go there... can't be around booze... Doctor says I can't drink that..."
- Sheffield: "I gave up alcohol after settling down here. Doctors said I shot my liver."
- Sheffield: "Thank you! It's like I can finally think straight."
- Sheffield: "Nuka-Cola's the only thing I can drink that wakes me up. Otherwise it's all... hazy."
- Sole Survivor: "Hey, Sheffield. What do you think about coming to work for me?"
Sheffield: "Really? You... you mean it?"
Sheffield: "I'll... I'll do it!"
- Darcy Pembroke: "Hi Sheffield. I'm looking for Paul. Have you seen him?"
Sheffield: "Paul's finally run off, eh? Not surprising, married to the likes of you."
Darcy Pembroke: "What a horrible thing to say."
Sheffield: "He's probably better off, wherever he is."
Darcy Pembroke: "What would you know. You're nothing but a no-good drunk."
Sheffield: "Takes one to know one, ha ha ha. See you around, Darcy!"
Darcy Pembroke: "Every time I talk to you I regret it."
- Sole Survivor: "Here you go."
Cait: "Hey! That was ours."
Sheffield: "*gasp* Oh thank you! Thank you!"